Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stewart Audio service

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ivanthetrble, Oct 27, 2004.

1. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    OK, I have posted some really glowing reports on customer service on TB, HCBF and ebassist. I have recieved such great service at one time or another from Roger Sadowsky, Dan Lakin (Lakland), Sheldon Dingwall and Aguilar. Well, this ain't gonna be one of those posts. I have two Stewart World 2.1 amps, one in my main rig and one for back up that stays in my practice room. About 6 weeks ago the #1 channel of my back up amp started acting up. The volume would vary without changing any setting and it would get really noisy. I decided to go to the source so I contacted Stewart Audio service, explained the problem and got a return authorization number and shipped it back to their facility in Calif. I bought the amp used so it was not under warrenty. FedEx tracking shows it was delivered to Stewart Audio's shop on 9-20-04. I called on 10-4-04 and they said it hadn't been looked at yet but it was next in line. I called back 10-11-04 and they still hadn't looked at my amp. :mad: They said the tech would get to it the first of the following week. So finally on 10-18-04 Stewart Audio called and said that they found the problem and it would be about $150 to fix and they would call back on 10-20-04 with the final cost and to get my payment information. They never called back! Bastages! I waited a week and nothing! Called them back today and asked what the status of my amp was and they kept me on hold for about 10 minutes and then came back on the line and they had to take my phone number cause they don't know "what it going on with my amp". Don't know if this means they didn't fix it yet, if they lost my amp, who knows. They have been messing around with my amp for over a month now! This is not customer service that I can feel good about when it comes to buying my next amp! :mad:

2. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Actually, about a month is about right for most manufacturers of just about anything for repair. What gets me mad is when someone says they are going to look at it or send it back on a certain day and they don't, then they keep lying about it. If they would be honest to begin with about the time frame, it would make it easier on the person who owns it and themselves. Granted, things do happen that will delay work but more times than not, this doesn't apply.

3. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    I figured that it would not be a fast turn around but you are right, be up front and I'll be happy. They took my phone number and said they would call be back, that was at about 2:30pm. Well, its 6:00pm and still nothing. We will have to wait and see how long (if ever) it takes them to call me back. :mad:

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    my stew's probably behind yours. from what i understand they have a bit of a backup.

5. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    I don't mind backups but if it is going to be a month tell me and I'll stop calling.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Unfortunately, I've experienced similar frustrations with Stewart. I also like their amps very much. I actively gig with a 2.1 and 1.2. But they jerked me around big-time a year or so ago when I was trying to buy a 1.6. Kept promising things they couldn't deliver, didn't seem well-organized at all. To take the charitable view, they focus on the gear and not the business. To be less forgiving, they suck at customer service! ;)

7. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    Well, I can't say that this really boosts my confidence much! The folks at Stewart said they would call me right back and 24 hours later still nothing.

8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Isnt Stewart Audio a very small company? Might have something to do with it...

9. Scooperman

Scooperman

May 28, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm glad I've got a QSC in storage. I might playing through it for along while if I ever have to send my Stewart in for a repair!

Of course that's one of the nice things about a pre/power set up vs. a standard head If your head goes bad (that's sounds so wrong!! :D ) and you send it in for repair, you may have diffulties finding a good temporary replacement. But with a pre/power set up, as long as you still have your pre, there are all sorts of places that will rent you a power amp. In my expereince with PA gear, the power amps are often the parts the break first anyway.

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Compare/contrast Stewart and QSC in this regard. QSC's repair support is jiffy quick and as friendly as can be.

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If service was the only issue when buying a power amp, Stewart would appear to be in trouble. However, some people may like the Stewart amps far better than QSC amps, for a variety of reasons. Some people like me, for instance. ;)

12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I can appreciate that, but for me at least, a power amp is a live instrument tool, not a studio tool, and not as susceptible to little particulars so much as it is necessary to hold up on the road and have as little down time as possible.

I'll worry about small nuances with studio gear, but with live gear, the small nuances take a back seat to function, durability, and serviceability. For me, that is. ;)

13. Scooperman

Scooperman

May 28, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    May I add Convenience to the list of attributes? While there may other factors involved, the primary reason I bought a Stewart World 1.2 was because it is smaller, lighter, and quieter (no fan) than the QSC.

If I had a car, and never played very quiet gigs, I probably would never have bough the Stewart.

14. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    Latest update. The woman I talked to on 10-27-04 who said she would call me back...........never did! :mad: I called back today and asked what the status of my repair and the guy who I spoke with said there was some comfusion (no ****!) and the paperwork that OKed fixing my amp was mis-placed! In otherwords, my amp is still sitting on a table and has still not been fixed! :mad: :mad: :mad: I expained that the tech called me nearly two weeks ago and I OKed the fix and the estimated price. He said he would make sure it got done first thing on Monday and they would call with final details on Tuesday. We will have to see what happens. :mad: :mad: Love their amps but this is really pissing me off! :mad:

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Reliability is a separate issue, of course. Other than the odd report here and there, I have seen little to suggest that Stewarts are unreliable. When they do need service, however, it's the response that seems to be at question and that appears to be the problem ivanthetrbl is grappling with. Obviously, having a piece of equipment out of service is a bad thing regardless of the application.

In my own gigging experience (the only reason I own power amps, btw), I've never had a Stewart fail or require repair/service. Hope I don't because, as I stated above, my experience with their customer service was rather frustrating.

16. I do not currently own a stewart audio amp. After reading this thread, I never will. Thanks for the heads- :rollno: up.

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Hmm... well, as boogiebass has eloquently stated, customer service is just one of *many* factors to consider when purchasing a power amp. If CS is a primary concern, then sure, it's wise to look elsewhere. But I'd buy another Stewart if I needed one (already got two! :D)

I'm not trying to make excuses, just add some perspective.

18. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    Yep, I do love my 2.1 amps (I have two also). They sound great, light weight and tones of power. Just based on the amp itself I would also buy another one. Might find someone else to fix it if I ever need service again though.

19. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Unless you live in the UK... then you just get the runaround from Shure UK!

20. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    Well, latest update. They assured me that my amp would be the first in line on Monday (yesterday) to get fixed and they would call to get everything finalized on Tuesday (today). 4:30pm PST and haven't heard a word yet. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: