Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stewart Audio World Series Amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Senor SQUID, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Next week I am getting my Aguilar DB 680 preamp and I am going to use it with an Aguilar GS212 4 ohm cab. I was looking for a good poweramp to go with it and I was wondering what you guys thought of Stewart Audio World Series Amplifiers. I was thinking about the 1.2 or 1.6. They seem to be really light and reasonably priced. Is this a good choice or any other recommendations. Thanks

2. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Thanks I would probably go for the 1.6 At 1600 watts bridged that is pretty honkin loud.

3. I would definitely go for the 1.6 or 2.1 with fan, it's a lot safer. Even though the 1.2 is also a great amp you definitely have to keep 1/2 rack space room in between power amp and preamp to avoid over heating.

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    another vote for world 1.2 here!!! warm punchy.

5. Uziel

Uziel

Sep 2, 2003
    France
    someone know if the 2.1 is available in 220v ?

6. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    I would love a Stewart 2.1 but no they do not make an export 220volt model. THat was the reply I got about a year ago - I emailed them again a few weeks ago just to check if they were now making them but no one has bothered to reply. I'll be going for a QSC PLX 2402 - they do make a 220Volt export version.

Cheers.

7. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz
    another vote for the stewarts.i love mine.i have the 2.1 as well.plenty of power and runs cool.as joshua and jorg have stated,i would stick with the 2 space amp(2.1 or 1.6).ive also heard the smaller one has been known to shut down at the wrong times.ive used mine for 5 years and it has never once given me a problem.

im sorry to you guys who need a 220v version.us stewart users may have to band together and convince stewart to make this happen to help our brothers out.it cant be that hard for them offer this as an option.any stewart reps belong to tb???

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    2.1 lover, present and accounted for! :D

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Stewart World 2.1 - the amp so nice I bought it twice. Nuff said? :)

10. I have a Walter Woods 1200 Ultra (1,200watt into 4 ohms) that uses a switching power supply. I'm pretty sure the Stewarts use a similar power supply. The good news... loud, warm sounding, small and light. The bad news (in my opinion) is that the switching power supplies start sounding pretty thin below 100hz at louder volumes. I can only comment on the WW, but have heard the Stewarts are similar. There's sometime about those switching power supplies that just can't match the low end punch of a big analog transformer. The EA iAmp's have gotten around that issue by using a 'digital' amp with a true, analog power supply (whereas the WW is a linear amp with a switching power supply). Anyway, try the Stewart before you buy it if possible. One final comment.... Acoustic Image (also switching) just came out with a 'slave amp' based of their new 600 watt into 4ohm model. It's REALLY small, and relatively inexpensive. Might want to check that out also if you are going 'digital'.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmm...

interesting KJ.

i havent tried my 1.2 at louder volumes, but something to think about, i guess.

and Joey,

yea, get as much power as possible. the i only like using my 1.2 for the headroom in my Acmes, but would be REALLY wary of using for a hot outdoor gig.

12. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Thanks for all the great advice guys. I am either going to go with the 1.6 or a QSC PLX 1602. Does the Stewart have speakons?

13. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    No speakons.

I had a 2.1 die on me in my bedroom. The 2nd channel just crapped out. I sold it at a substantial loss for use as a 1 channel POS as-is'er on the bay. :spit:

I'd go with QSC. :scowl: :ninja:

14. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I am leaning towards the QSC. If its good for Mike Watt its good for me!

15. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...my Carvin DCM2000 had more low-end grunt than my QSC3402. Nowadays I'm a Crown MA exclusive user...

$0.02
    ~S~

16. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    What about the Peavey power amp? I cant recall the model number of the top of my head. DP1400 or something?

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yup,

got the DPC1400x, and its a great little amp. unbelievably powerful, yet the same weight as the World 1.2. also, love how each channel can do 2 ohms safely for 700 watts of kick. course, wish it did a bridged 2 ohms. that would rock with my pair of 4 ohm Epifani UL210's.

thankfully, no problems yet... (knock on wood... ;))

18. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i like the 2.1. true, some of us have had one channel go out. bad news is stew can be slow on the repair, good news is they generally do it free, i've even seen them do it past the 2 year warranty period.