1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stewart Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BFunk, Oct 21, 2003.

1. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Is anyone familiar with Stewart basses? He is a local luthier I visited recently. I am very impresses with his work. He seesm unusually knowledgeable and trully dedicated. I would like anyone who is personally familiar with the builder or his instruments to offer comments.

2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I've never heard of them, but if Wolf plays one, they have to have some merit... I used to take my black jazz bass to him when I lived in the "crime-free";) Fenway... Probably the best set ups that I ever had on my black Jazz bass were from Wolf.

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I just read through the website. At first he sounded knowledgable, but as I went on it sounded more and more like smoke and mirrors, or BS if you will.

I made an effort to ignore his verbose manner of writing, and new-agey quasi-spiritual statements, and just deal with the statements and claims being made.

There are a lot of statements there which sound like they come from a scientific basis, but which are unsupportable except by graduate-level vibration analysis. If he has done that, great! I am very interested. If not, beware.

Honestly, it sounds to me like crap piled on top of crap (possibly on top of a good instrument), but if it's supportable - Great! I'd love to discuss it. I'm sure I could learn a lot.

It is certainly possible that he is a great, detail-oriented luthier, who makes great-sounding basses, and a great guy on top of it. But the reasons he claims for his good sound seem far-fetched, and if I were to make an assumption about his intentions, misleading.