Stewart Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BFunk, Oct 21, 2003.

1. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Is anyone familiar with Stewart basses? He is a local luthier I visited recently. I am very impresses with his work. He seesm unusually knowledgeable and trully dedicated. I would like anyone who is personally familiar with the builder or his instruments to offer comments.
  2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I've never heard of them, but if Wolf plays one, they have to have some merit... I used to take my black jazz bass to him when I lived in the "crime-free";) Fenway... Probably the best set ups that I ever had on my black Jazz bass were from Wolf.
  3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    I just read through the website. At first he sounded knowledgable, but as I went on it sounded more and more like smoke and mirrors, or BS if you will.

I made an effort to ignore his verbose manner of writing, and new-agey quasi-spiritual statements, and just deal with the statements and claims being made.

There are a lot of statements there which sound like they come from a scientific basis, but which are unsupportable except by graduate-level vibration analysis. If he has done that, great! I am very interested. If not, beware.

Honestly, it sounds to me like crap piled on top of crap (possibly on top of a good instrument), but if it's supportable - Great! I'd love to discuss it. I'm sure I could learn a lot.

It is certainly possible that he is a great, detail-oriented luthier, who makes great-sounding basses, and a great guy on top of it. But the reasons he claims for his good sound seem far-fetched, and if I were to make an assumption about his intentions, misleading.