Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stewart Electronics - Pro Reference vs World series

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by knuckle_head, Aug 12, 2004.

1. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    I am a Crest owner - the LT1500 to be specific - and love the beast but for two particular things; weight and the always-on fan.

A friend recently acquired a Stewart Pro Reference 1000 and loves it. He indicates that its fast and warm (for solid state) and for the studio its perfect as the convection cooling means he can set his rig in the sound room. I am wondering if there is a benefit to a pair of PR 1000s over a World 2.1.

I have no direct experience with either of the Stewart lines but I'm hoping someone has dabbled with both and can do a compare/contrast

2. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I can tell you that the world 2.1 will have the fan on at all times. On a gig, it is not even remotely noticeable. In a studio it definitely would be.

I believe the world 1.2 does not have a fan.

The world 2.1 sounds very quick, responsive, and transparent (to my ears), and will hardly even get noticeably warm even if driven for a long time.

I have no experience with the PR1000's, but have been gigged 50+ times with my world 2.1 over the last year.

3. The 1.2 does not have a fan and is IMO the better choice over the Pro (I had both). Nevertheless, if you rack either of them, the pro or the 1.2, you have to leave at least 1/2 space between power amp and preamp to avoid over heating and temporary shut down.

The Stewart is an excellent amp, light weight and it sounds very good. :)

4. the pro reference 1000 and the world 1.2 are virtually identical, except for the chrome front fascia on the pro reference.

robb.

5. DITTO; forgot to mention that.
    :D

6. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Very useful info - I appreciate it!

7. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    As a guy who has been, uh, impolite to more than a few amps over the years, I can tell you that the Stewart 2.1 has been a joy to own and play. I never gives up, it responsive to all sorts of imputs, unlike the unmodded PLX's and I never seem to scratch the surface of the power it offers. Even when we go loud!

Anyway, it doesn't have a removeable power cord, which I'd change if I could and I once put some silicone between the caps. Other than that, thing rules.

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    FWIW, I bought a Stewart World 2.1 from Jack Read, and for a small sum, he installed a fan switch so I can kill it when I need. It's useful when playing low enough volumes or in the studio.

9. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I owned a Stewart PA1000 amp and never had any problem with it. I believe that the company was called Stewart Audio at the time. I'm not sure if ownership changed but the name changed to Stewart Electronics (and the amps changed from PA prefix to WT). Different look but pretty much the same design.

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    +1

And mine has a removable power cord. ;)

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Gah! Mine don't!

But I get to vote twice for the Stew 2.1 because I own two. :p

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Ironically, the only problem I've ever had with my 2.1 on a gig was due to the removeable cord. The amp is rack mounted and plugged into a Furman. The cord had come loose on the Stew and gave me a moment of panic during setup and when I plugged it back in (stupidly while the Furman was still on), the sparks flew. Fortunately, no damage to anything and I played a 5 hour gig with it that day.