stewart macdonald's necks ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j3b3r, Nov 15, 2004.

1. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    Hello ^^

I'm planning to build a custom bass....and on this project I'm thinking
    about using Stewart macdonald's bass neck.

anyone know about how good is the neck ?? specially with maple fretboard.
    or anyone ever hear the sound ??

2. They're Mighty Mite necks. Decent MIM level stuff. I've used a few, feel good enough, satin finish, readily fit the bodies I put them to.

Only thing is the fretboards are pretty flat radius (@ 15" rad.)

I've seen them cheaper on EBay, which is where I've bought every one of mine new. @ $80 actually.

But really, a finished, decent neck for 130 isn't too bad either.
  3. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I haven't used their bass necks, but I slapped one of their Tele necks on my guitar and I have no complaints.
  4. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    Thanks for the replies

They're Mighty Mite necks ? what's that suppose to mean ??
    Same quality level as mighty mite necks or Mighty mite actually builds the necks for Stewartmac ???
  5. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    I don't think so. I have a Mighty Mite neck [and I cherry picked it out of five] on a tele guitar and I built a baritone guitar with a Stu Mac neck; Stu Mac is the better neck.
  6. I'm looking right on the StewMac website. this picture:

look at the back. Down at the heel, is the wood burned logo from Mighty Mite. I should know I just sold one.

Stew Mac necks didn't used to be Mighty Mite, and not all of them are. For a time they had Fender headstocks. Then Fender told everybody you had to pay a licence to use a Fender headstock shape, so Stew Mac's suppliers only offered paddlehead bass necks and drilled paddle guitar necks. In fact, they still offer them look for yourself.

Mighty Mite has a Fender licence. They can make the headstock. And to broaden their offerings, they sell their necks on Stew Mac. If you see a fender headstocked neck on Stew Mac, I can bet dollar to donuts it's a Mighty Mite neck.

Is this all clear now?
  7. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    On the subject of aftermarket necks, I have an Allparts neck on a parts Jazz. It is serving me well, is very stable and has a 10" radius rosewood fretboard and I have no complaints with it.
  8. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    I see; good thing I started making my own necks :D