Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stewart Power Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Nov 14, 2003.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi all, I've been using a Stewart 2.1 for a while now, it's a great lightweight amp that cranks out 2100 watts into 4 ohms. It weighs 17 pounds. That's a beautiful combination.

I've heard some interesting things about the company though. First, I heard that they don't release schematics "period", not even to qualified service techs. To get a Stewart serviced, you "have to" return it to the factory.

Is this true? Does anyone have any experience with Stewart's service? Are there any amp techs out there who've serviced Stewart amps?

I'm especially interested in the switching power supply, it'd be nice to see a schematic 'cause I'm curious about what's in there.

Are there any other lightweight "power" amps that use a switching power supply? Schematics anyone?

2. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I can definetly say that isn't true because they sent me a schematic a while back for the PA1000 (and didn't charge anything). I can't really answer the question concerning whether you have to send the amp back to the factory for service. I've never had a Stewart breakdown! But for what it's worth, it's been my experience that there's not many repair facilaties out there that I'll trust my gear with. I got sick of repair places addressing symptoms instead of root causes long ago. Send it to the factory. Nobody knows the equipment better!
    As a side note, I just picked up a SWR Goliath this weekend and bridged my Stewart 1.6 for the first time. M-A-N!!! 1,150 watts RMS at 8 Ohms! You talking headroom! Unbelievable sound!:bassist:

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Most light-weight power amps use switching power supplies. Examples include QSC's Powerlite and PLX series.

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I wish that the Stewart offered Speakon connections. :(

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

That's the *only* complaint I have about my World 2.1. But it was easy enough to build my own collection of banana-speakon and banana-phone cables (not to mention cheaper than buying pre-mades).

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I hear ya Fuzz but those Speakons have just grown on me.