Stewart power amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GreyBeard, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Who has the best prices on Stewart World power amps. I'm thinking about a World 1.2:)
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
  3. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    yeah, i think i saw that thread somewhere...;)
  4. So far they have the best prices, but, everything is special order ( 7 to 14 ) with NO RETURNS and NO REFUNDS. You pays your money and you takes your chances
  5. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I read somewhere that the company had been bought out and wasn't honoring waranties on older products. Could be dangerous.
  6. Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Nah, that was a LONG time ago. Ancient history. New Stews are Good News and I've bought from B&H since the mid-70's.
  7. Have you bought Stewart from them lately? Here's why I'm asking. I emailed Bass NW about a Stewart World 1.2. They gave me a price of $599 I'd been surfing around and I had found BH and their price was $474 I emailed Bass NW back asking if they could price match they said:

"According to Stewart the BH Photo Video company is no longer a dealer for them and this price that you have is not valid. Stewart told me this morning that if BH tries to place an order for any of their amps that they will decline the order."!!!!!!!

So what do you think about this?
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

10. To top it off, I just got an Email back from Stewart confirming that BH is not a dealer and that they won't fill any orders they send. I sent this info back to B&H. and ask them "what assurances they could give me that my order would be filled." We'll see what they say.
    Buyer beware.:(
  11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Uh-oh! Someone better give this info to the guy who was ordering one in the previous Stewart/BH Photo thread! I think it was Steven Green. He said that he just ordered one. Doh!

Let us know what their response is, Greybeard. Probably something along the lines of "Screw you, you informed consumer!"

Just kidding!! All you satisfied B&H customers don't rip my head off.

brad cook
  12. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

i guess B&H is just trying to ship out the rest of the stewarts it has left in stock, since Stewart doesnt wanna deal with them anymore.

but for Stewart to NOT honor warranties on them seems mean spirited to me. just cause B&H isnt a dealer anymore doesnt mean the amps are bad, right?
  13. Carl Brusky

Carl Brusky

Sep 21, 2000
    Just a few words.

I had a Stewart for a short while. It went into thermal shutdown at a gig once and that is all she wrote. I got rid of it.

I was running it bridged, into a 4 ohm load. I had an external cooling fan (computer type) in the rack blowing air over this thing and it still shut down.

Sounded nice but I could not trust it.

Running a QSC PLX 1202 into the same cabinet. No issues what so ever. Runs great and sounds great.

14. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

My understanding from the BH website is that they don't actually have any in stock. That they order it when you order it. I don't know...maybe I just misunderstand or maybe what you said is the case. Maybe these are demos and that's why they're so cheap!

brad cook
  15. You are correct, BH doesn't stock Stewart at all when you order from them they probably have it drop shipped from Stewart. The real issue that I've been trying to get to the bottom of is "Can BH in fact still order and deliver Stewart" BH tells me that they can but Stewart informed me that BH was not a dealer and that they would not fill any of their orders. I think this is a recent development between Stewart and BH. So recent that BH still isn't aware of it. Stewart may also be saying one thing to keep their franchised dealers happy and shipping stuff to anyone on the side. Who knows? Who cares? I just want the best price/service I can get.
  16. David Morris

David Morris Supporting Member

May 22, 2002
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Gee Carl, it's nice to know that. You "got rid of it" by selling it to me. And not too cheaply either, as I recall. It might have been nice to have known that you had had a major problem with it before unloading it on me.

I don't have it any more, but while I did I never had a problem with it. Sounded great too.
  17. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    The World 1.2 is the only one of the series without an internal cooling fan and they do have problems with theramal shutdown when pushed hard. I was interested in a 1.2 but the fine folks at BassNW asked what type of music I played and when I told them rock they said that the 1.2 would NOT be a good choice for this (thermal problems). I have used a 2.1 for a couple of years with absolutely no problems. Love it! It is very light and very powerful. The World 1.6 is also very good with no thermal probems and is a bit cheaper, but not much. I figured the extra headroom with the 2.1 was worth the extra $$.

18. Which model did you have that gave you problems. I have an older QSC USA 850 (that weighs 35 lbs ) that I can use. I'm looking at the Stewart world 1.2 because of the single rack space and the 11 lbs of weight. My rack has a built in fan that I use to cool the existing single rack space EV dynacord. I'm glad you told me about the thermal shut down problems you had. It is making me re-think my next move. The old 850 is looking better and better (35lbs 3 rack space and all.)
  19. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    An opine from the other side:

I've related my story about my old, much used and probably abused PA-1000, which is the older 1.2 equivolent (sp?) before, but the short story is, yes, it did shut down one, but only once, on a hot day playing outdoors without fan help. It took maybe five minutes to cool down, which is unacceptable for a gig, surely, but it never did it again, and I've put this thing through the ringer for years, and I still use it regularly.

I'd be happy to field any questions about my Stewart experience.