Stewart Power q

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toby, Apr 12, 2005.

1. toby

Feb 10, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    hey all, right now I'm playing through an Aguilar db359 with a aggy GS412. Its an amazing sounding rig and I'm really happy. But I'm interested in getting a seperate power amp for big shows when I need more power. I would love a db 728, but dont want to carry that much weight considering the heft of my already owned gear. Lots of people rave about Stewart on here, and I wondered if anyone could give me advice about the effect it might have on my aggie tone. Im playing rock with 2 guitars . And I like the idea of having a nice, light poweramp to throw in when I need it, but I dont want to change my sound. So, will the Stewart be just clean transparent power?
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, FWICT,

with a cab plugged into the amp, you'll be able to run a line out from the effects send to the power amp to another cab. the tone will be different, cause you'll only be hearing how the preamp is coloring the tone.

to get that WHOLE DB359 sound into the power amp is by way of a "speaker in" capable DI box like an Avalon U5, or a simple Countryman DI. they dont take a load, so you'll have to either plug another cab into the DB359, or use a "dummy load" like a THD Hotplate set to the "load" setting.

again, the Stewart's are transparent and wont mess with your tone. IMHO, it'll greatly improve the punch and slam of your tone, cause big wattage = massive punch.

but REMEMBER, you HAVE to have a load of some sort connected to your amp, or you'll fry the power section.
  3. toby

Feb 10, 2005
    SF Bay Area
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Man, you really are going to force me to get a U5, aren't you!?! :p