Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stewart World 1.2 (and other 1-space amps w/o fans...)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mgmadian, May 24, 2002.

1. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm thinking of picking up a World 1.2 to use with my Kern pre-amp. I currently use a QSC PLX-2402 and am generally happy with it, except...the fan noise bothers me while practicing (and while playing in quiet places like church), and poses a challenge in the studio.

So...I've been looking into something like a Stewart World 1.2, mainly cuz it has no fan and is quiet. A 2nd benefit is that it's smaller/lighter. I know it produces considerably less power, but I actually don't need all the power of the 2402.

Could anyone comment on their experience with the World 1.2, or something similar (like the 1-space Peavey amp). I'm particulary concerned about over-heating...has it ever shut down on you mid-gig? I occasionally play loud-volume rock/funk gigs, so need to think about loud situations, too. And is there any reason to be concerned about matching it up with a Kern (probably not)?

Thanks!
    Greg

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I know nothing about how they hold up under stress but the Peavey DPC 1400X has a noisy fan also.

3. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Make sure to get the scoop on potential over-heating concerns with any convection cooled amp.

I wouldn't give up the QSC in any case. You have good old Bob here for support :-D

4. If you want to throw away your 2402, send it to me... I'll give it a good home on top of my PLX 3002.

:D

5. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Captain Wally...I hear ya. One factor I'm certainly considering is that Bob of QSC does contribute to the forum...helpful support is a good thing...

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i've got both the stewart 1.2 and peavey DCP1400x and love them both. the stewart seems a little clearer, while the peavey is more reliable with its built in variable fan.

i honestly wouldnt run the stewart at close to full power without a fan blowing on it and with good air flow. too many horror stories of mid gig shutdowns. i just got it for the headroom. i'm usually running mine at 1/3 way up in bridged mode.

but if you think about it, no other power amp has heatsinks as large as the stewart. so, if one was to put a good fan with nice airflow ontop of the stewart, in theory, it should be better able to handle the heat, no?

also, the stewarts i've played seem to all suffer from sensitive inputs. if the preamp gain was just a hair over halfway on either my aguilar DB680 or demeter vtbp-201s, the tone would fart out. very annoying. on the dem, i had to lower the internal volume trim. on the aguilar, i keep the gain at 1/3. but other than that, its a pristine sounding power amp.

Peavey's DPC1400x on the other hand is very apt in handling whatever you shoot at it. problem is that fan. if you're doing recording and the amp is in the same room, the fan will be annoying. but if you're doing loud live shows, the peavey is a solid bet.

7. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I've been using a Stewart PA-1000 (early version of the 1.2 World) and have had no overheating problems on moderatly loud gigs. You should have no problem in a church setting unless your band really rocks out and your church building is huge.

I have yet to hear any power amps that sound as good for bass as the Stewart amps. In matters of tone, YMMV.

Chuck