Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stewart World 2.1 vs. PR-1000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Baron, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Baron

Baron

Jan 4, 2004
    Seattle
    I have a Stewart PR 1000 and love the way it sounds, but I needed a bit more power and purchased a Stewart World 2.1 thinking they would sound the same. Now here’s the rub; they are supposed to be the same topology; albeit the PR1000 is dressed up in a chrome front with gold connectors, but they should theoretically sound the same. Now here’s the big surprise – they don’t sound the same. In fact they sound different enough to leave me perplexed. :confused:

The PR1000 has very forward mid/highs with a nice bite to it and harmonics are very present. The 2.1 has tons of power and is quicker and more articulate in the lower registers, but is smoother and more restrained in the mid/high department and harmonics sound a little attenuated. I love the punch and power of the 2.1, but there’s just something alive about the tone of the PR1000 that gets me going.

Has anyone experienced this? Maybe I should run one cab off a World 1.2 and the other off the PR1000 and kind of get the best of both worlds. Does the Stewart World 1.2 sound like the 2.1? Maybe another brand/model i.e. a crest CA-9 or a Crown?

Baron Vonclamoto

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Even two identical power amps will sound vastly different if they are set to different gains.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    baron,

its amazing how people with similar concerns can almost miss each other at critical times....

I own a world 1.2. let me back up....I'm a recovering audiophile and fairly new bass player (last 5 years) I'm very finicky (sp?) about sound on my home stereo. I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars just so I can be happy playing a CD at home. (ironically I haven't reached that goal, but I'm closer) I've spent about $6000 on various combos, amps, basses, cabs etcetera to reach my current rig (see signature) is very nice for my needs in my current band.

HERE IS MY DILEMA: when I bought my stewart world 1.2 I was curious about how it might sound in my home system, so I plugged it in.....Bass: good, Mids: forward, Treble: good maybe forward (can't remember), soundstaging: flat, flat, flat WORLD 1.2 IS A GREAT BASS GUITAR AMP, but not great critical listening amp for audiophiles.

Then I see the Pro Reference amps from stewart and have been searching in vain to see if they sound better than the world series, but I haven't talked with anyone until now, but your impression is disheartening

What am I trying to say??? I wish I could hear your amp! where did you get it?? Is the world 1.2 for you I DON'T KNOW...

thanks

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have not heard the PR line, but what you are saying about the World 2.1 sounds fairly close to what I hear out of mine. Compared to my Crest CA9, the low end on the Crest is even more taught, full, and dynamic (which I somewhat expected) but I was surprised to hear that the CA9 also had more high end information and energy. The World 2.1 sounds very good to me, and I really like the light weight and "dual mono" design. But, in most sonic regards, I prefer the CA9. Of course, the Crest is far more heavy, and is extremely deep (and doesn't fit in some racks).

As far as gain matching, I did not break out any EE equipment, scopes, meters, or anything else of said ilk. But, using my ears, and trying both amps at a variety of gain settings and with a variety of equipment, I feel confident in what my own ears are telling me.

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That's the point. If you don't actually match the gains, your ears will be telling you one is louder than the other, and so it will sound fuller, punchier, etc., even if it is the exact same model.

That's why serious listening tests require putting the amps on equal footing like that.

6. Baron

Baron

Jan 4, 2004
    Seattle
    Wow - thread comes back to life...

We sound like the have a similar passion for audio, although I think my wife would refer to my "passion" as anal and costly.

I did quite a bit of AB'ing with an RTA setup and calibrated input levels and I think I know what I'm hearing. I believe the PR1000 has more hamonic distortion at the volume levels I was comparing the two amps. The 2.1 is a much more powerful amp causing it to be driven at a much lower % of total power and very low s/n ratio than the PR1000. That little bit of extra distortion enhances the the upper mids and highs just a tad. The fan noise maybe canceling some highs as well.

I know I'm splitting hairs, but in a blind test with a freind who is a pro studio engineer he described the same difference between the 2 amps.

After much use I have decided I really like the headroon that the extra power of the 2.1 provides. I also figured out how to EQ in something close to what I was hearing in the PR1000 w/ my Symetrix 551.

7. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    The biggest suprise for me was the flat 2 dimensional staging of the world 1.2. I've heard crappy mid-fi amps with better staging.

Interesting side note. my old home stereo amp, a Bryston 2BLP (60w per side stereo, 150w bridged into 8 only) I'm using for my second bass rig amp. the bryston is a 1 space 17LBS bass heavy amp with rolled off treble. I also like the amp clip lights on the front.