Stewart World Amplifiers, Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boogiebass, Aug 14, 2002.

1. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Please post first-hand experience-based info. on this line. I'm seriously considering the 2.1. Given their ridiculously light weight and high wattage, there must be issues to consider...:D
  2. jmanyea

Mar 20, 2002
    St. Louis
    Price comes to mind, lol.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've been using a 2.1 for the better part of a year. Got it used, $735 shipped... it's the older model, slightly different logo. Anyway, it's easily the best amp I've ever had in my rack. I'll have to get back to you about the cons... I can't think of one!

Actually... if you're into the sound of warm power tubes, the Stewart is obviously not for you. Also, at just 17 pounds I can't imagine it'll take the beating that a Crown will. But holy cow, the 2.1 has incredible headroom, and what you put in is what you get out. Another totally cool feature about the 2.1 is that it's "dual monaural". That is, it is possible for one side to continue functioning even if the other fails... and with the 2.1, I believe I actually have enough power from one side to get me through any gig.
  4. I own a World 1.2 and a PA 100B. I also owned a World 600 before I got the 1.2. Stewarts are by far my favorite power amps right now. I had a Crown Powerbase 2 before the Stewarts and the stewart sounds much better to my ears. It's VERY transparent and clear. What you put in is what you get out with no coloration. Plus I'm into lightweight items so that's obviuosly a plus.

The only con would be that they tend to run a little hot. If you're going to get the 2.1 then it shouldn't be an issue since it's got fans. But I would plan on leaving an extra space above the amp in your rack just to be safe. I always leave a space in my rack and have never had a problem. A guy at a guitar store in towm said that for really loud gigs (If I ever play really loud situations there's always a PA) he recommends a fan. But again it's a different story with the 2.1 and 1.6.
  5. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Very cool, Fuzz. Actually, I do enjoy tube amps but I've got that covered with two Mesa 400+'s and a '70 SVT. What I'm looking to put together with the Stewart is a high-headroom, lightweight "modern" rig to use with my Bergantino cabs and my Modulus Quantum 6's. Sounds like it might just do the trick. I got quoted $839 plus shipping for a brand new one. Doesn't sound too bad, based on your used price. Thanks for the feedback, man.
  6. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Gracias, amigo. I had heard about the heat issue but, as you point out, the 2.1 has fan coverage. The extra space tip sounds good.
  7. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    This thread interested me so I looked into those amps and found one for 799 here
  8. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I've got a PA-1000 and a World 1.6. These are the best sounding power amps that I've tried.

I did have a 1.2 World that had a recurring problem. It smoked 3 times and always at low volume. Stewart replaced it with the 1.6 for a small upcharge. I've also heard stories of the 1.2's shutting down when they get too hot. My PA-1000 has never shut down and it is an earlier version of the 1.2.

9. Fuzzbass

Dang, @700 I didn't exactly get a fabulous deal on my used one. It was in mint condition at least.

Here's a link to World 2.1 specs (photo shows the newest model):
  10. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Nice price! If I decide to order, that looks like the one to beat. Thanks. :cool:
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    a Stewart with a built in fan is a god's gift to lightweight gigging. :D
  12. Fuzzbass

Boogie, you own my favorite tube amps and speaker cabinets. What pre are you going to use in your lightweight rig?
  13. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Those prices for Stewarts are very low, much lower than what they have typically been going for. Typical price for the 1.2 is in the low $700 range, and for the 1.6 closer to $900. I wonder what's up?

Anyway, I have a 1.2 that I really like. I was looking for a 1K+ amp, light weight, and without a fan. The sound is very clear and just a bit warmer than the QSC PLX that I had. It gets hot, but I left a clear space above it in the rack. I have only had it for a few months, and I don't work it that hard, so can't comment on reliability.
  14. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Still undecided on the pre, Fuzz. I'm looking at all the usual suspects, Demeter, Kern, Aguilar, Eden, etc. I want something straight-forward and clean, clean, clean so the Demeter is looking better all the time (201) and is probably the front-runner at this point. What are you using in your Stewart-powered setup?
  15. Zoom

Mar 31, 2002
    Not sure if anyone's mentioned this but, Stewart Electronics has just had a price DECREASE on their amps.
    Warranty is 3yrs. (I think some time ago it was 5yrs.)
    Hopefully nothing else has changed to decrease quality.

Hey Chuck,
    Can that PA-1000 be bridged into 4 ohms safely?
    (That's the "Pro" version of the 1.2?)

Are any of you out there pushing the 1.2 real hard,(bridged@4ohms), and NOT having ANY problems?
    Understandably, space HAS to left around this amp.

I'd like to get one of these, and was going to leave one space above it in the rack, for the obvious.
    Not really wild about putting a fan in the rack.
    But then I was thinking about a 1U "grill" and mounting a couple 1" fans on that grill with a switch, so it could be turned on or off, depending on the situation...I don't know. I'm not sure if this would be worth the time & expense.

Is there such a thing as a 1" fan?
    For cheap?
  16. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Interesting. Wonder what the deal is? Of course, what else is out there with that wattage that is so lightweight?
  17. Zoom

Mar 31, 2002
    Hey Boogie,
    I noticed you mentioned the 201.
    Did you compare it to the HBP-1?
  18. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    There's QSC PLX and those E&W thingies someone here keeps posting about. And Carvin's poweramps aren't much heavier, but are way cheaper. I still would like to see if anyone here can get their hands on an older one and a newer one and compare them.

Stewart's lack of speakon outputs is a slight turn-off for me. It's not that important to me, but considering how little a difference you get by spending more money in the poweramp field, every little edge counts.

Also, if you HAVE to have an extra rack space above the 1.2, doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of having a 1-rack-space power amp? Didn't someone here have a stewart 1.2 crammed into a 2-space case with a current-model demeter VTBP? Does that rig have any problems with heat?
  19. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Come to think of it, there was also that Peavey DPC, which beats out the Stewart World 1.2 in most aspects as far as specs go.
  20. Fuzzbass

You're definitely on the right track! But FYI, I use the following preamps with mine: Alembic F2B, TC 1140, SansAmp BDDI. I'm not sure if the TC is still in production, but it's a preamp with a 4-band fully-parametric EQ (true bypass for the EQ section): super clean solid state. The Alembic is also clean but has that extra something that tubes provide. I have even used the SABDDI all by itself, but it has significant tone coloration which I'm not always in the mood for.

Oh... both my Alembic and TC were in the shop for routine maintenance, so for my last 2 gigs I used nothing but my Rane DC-24 compressor (gain) and Aphex 204 (subtle enhancement) in front of my Stewart. I feel more comfortable with EQ available, but I've gotta say I got great tone without it. (Woulda got even better tone with Bergie cabs... one day, one day).