1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stewie Hamm Washburn Sig. Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by millsbass5, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Anyone? Anbody? How do they sound & play? Haven't played this brand in a while. But, I'll be damned if their upper-tier stuff won't go head-to-head with other high-quality U.S. production basses. I love their XB models. I've noticed that there's NO attention on here pertaining to Washburn Basses. They're one of the older companies out there. So, any opinions on the new Stu Hamm Basses?

http://www.washburn.com/products/basses/sh/hammer.php

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'm not a fan of the looks at all. I'm also surprised that he's not with Fender any more.

3. I may be wrong, but I could've swore it was just recently I seen his Sig. Fender on their site. Took me by surprise. I love the lollipop tuners on the Washburn, too. More basses should have 'em.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I am pretty sure Fender isn't with him... I don't think Stu wanted to leave FMIC.

5. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Interesting concept, the way it has the MM pup in the neck position and the J pup at the bridge.

Opposite the usual (e.g., Lakie 55-02 and Carvin Bunny Brunel) config.

6. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Looks like a Wannabe Ibanez. Pass.

7. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    That is what I was going to say!!!!

8. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I am not a fan of the look, but previous Stu Hamm basses (Kubicki, Urge I, Urge II) have been great. (I have owned two of the three models). I see no reason to think this isn't also a great sounding, great playing bass.

9. I like that the Washburns are almost non-signature-bass-looking. Very "normal".

I'm with wvbass on this one, I doubt Stu would have anything but a great-playing bass.

10. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    He should go back to Kubicki's. He rocked on those :)

11. winston

winston

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Huh, 34" scale...weren't his Kubicki and Fender Sigs 32"?

12. Urge II was 34" scale.

13. Yes they were. But, then Fender idea that they would sell better with a 34 inch scale and redesigned it to make the URGE II bass. Evidently Washburn and Hamm had the same thoughts.