StewMac Neck Shim + Fender Standard P-Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by srambo590, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Recently swapped the bridge on my MIM Fender P-bass but the action still feels a little high even with the saddles lowered all the way. I don't really feel like cutting my own shim and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the StewMac shims? I'm debating whether or not I should order fitted 1x .50 or fitted 2x .25 just in case the .50 is too big.

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_an...d/Bass_Necks/StewMac_Neck_Shims_for_Bass.html

2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    They go by degree of angle with those numbers, so I would say go with the .5 degree shim.

srambo590 likes this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I just noticed those are $8 before shipping, WOW~!
    Find someone with a table saw & have them make you one.
    Determine how much tilt you'll need first though, maybe stick a business card behind the heel first.

JLS and srambo590 like this.
  4. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    ^^^ This! A good repair person could cut you one for cheaper and also get it right the first time. I've always used a business card in the front of the neck pocket myself, and that has always given me more than enough saddle adjustment room.

JLS, NigelD and Killed_by_Death like this.
  5. I keep seeing comments from people advising not to use a partial shim made from cardboard (I.E. a buisness card).

Sure, I'd love to be able to cut my own but I simply lack the skills and tools to do so. I don't really see spending $13ppd for a pre-cut shim to be a big deal if it saves me time and heartache in the long run, but I dunno what I'm gonna do as of right now :/

Lowbrow and HeavyDuty like this.
  6. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    Your concern is understandable, given the many opinions that only full pocket shims should be used, and the fact that full pocket shims are in existance.

It's also true though, that narrow shims at the end of the pocket have also been widely used by manufacturers, repair techs, and bass owners, with no ill effects.

I use strips of fish paper (a phenolic composite) myself as it's available in several thicknesses and is less slippery than card stock.

If it's really a concern, you can also place a half-thickness shim at the center of the pocket to form a taper.

-

Lownote38, JLS and Killed_by_Death like this.
  7. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    eureka, ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    These shims are a solution looking for a problem. There is absolutely nothing wrong with partial shims; this goofy idea that they can contribute to ski jump is utter nonsense.

squeakyd, Lownote38 and sissy kathy like this.
  8. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    When I got it, one of my basses had a piece of what looked like circuit board material used as a shim.
    I have also heard of people using coins, window screen, a piece of a hacksaw blade, plastic sheet, cardboard...

I guess I'm saying that you may not need to order anything. Be creative. ;)

9. And there's more than a good chance the bass will be sold off by the time it does, if it does. There are plenty of basses that went out the factory several decades ago that have shims that the owner probably doesn't even know is there that are still in use today with no complainants. If one wants to get all fancy and not just stick a piece of paper in there, go for it. Or just stick a piece of paper in there. If done correctly, the negative effects (if they happen...big IF) won't be felt in your lifetime, or at least as long as you own the bass.

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You have repair people that will cut and install a shim for $15? Wow!

11. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Actually, yes I do. He has before, but I can do it myself and don't need him to do it anymore.

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Then you're a lucky man. It's hard to get anyone to even open your case here for under $40 which is why I do most of my own work.

Lownote38 likes this.
  13. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I do most of my own work as well, but I've found that it's a really good idea to become friends with as many repair people as possible! I try to get to know the owners of the local shops as well. I do consider myself lucky in that respect. I also feel lucky that I live in a city that actually has a number of local music shops. No Guitar Center this guy (even though we have 2 of them!).

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 25, 2022