Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by qsoxy, Jun 23, 2001.

1. qsoxy

May 4, 2001
    you know that sticcato 16th note sound in alot of 1980's hair metal bands, e.g. Motley Crue, Van Halen? When the guitar strikes a power chord and the drums n bass are just giving a steady 4/4 beat, bass playing the root note in sticcatto? What is the best technique to produce the sticcatto? I think MotCrue bass is with a pick...just he just mute each note with his right palm after each pick stroke? Or is there a fretting-hand technique as well? What if fingerstyle is used?
  2. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    I'm pretty sure it's staccato ;)

Either mute the string with your playing hand (right hand) or lift the fretting finger of the fretboard (left hand). If you use the latter technique it's preferable to slightly damp the string with your playinghand as you lift the finger.

3. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    i agree with the post above. when i use the plucking hand to mute i mute with my middle or ring finger depending on what finger i pluck it with. when i do that i keep the finger im gonna mute with a little above the string and then i can mute it fast and it gets a very sharp staccato. if you combine the 2 methods its you can marcatto the notes really easy (sharp staccatos and seperated)
  4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    actually, staccato is "as short as possible". while the 80's had the steady 8th note thing going on, it wasn't staccato.

When practicing that straight 8th rhythm, try to make every note exactly the same length as the last. It sounds simple, but it ain't :) and it really cleaned up my 8th and 16th note stuff...