Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stick a forklift under it - it's done (my latest amp conglomoration)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TL5, Aug 11, 2005.

1. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    It sounds pretty good to me.

However, it weighs as much as I do.

[​IMG]

Biamp CPA650 bridged mono for 650watts into 8ohms
    Peavey 1810 cabinet, 18" and 2- 10" speakers.

I'm using an ART Tube MP and either a Sansamp or a BDI21 for tone shaping and preamplification.

2. I'm guessing the amp at 60 pounds and the cab at 150 pounds. Am I far off? I like the 15 inch Black Widows (especially for steel guitar), but I have never heard an 18. Peavey's construction is always solid. What kind of music do you play? Do you use that rig to gig with or is it for practice and jamming with friends? Can you describe the tone for us?

3. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    Good guess, I haven't weighed the cab, I think it's in the vicinity of 115-120 lbs. The manual says the head weighs 33lbs. It 'feels' heavier. I weigh right 160lbs and drive a Kia hatchback (it fits, that how I got it home).

I haven't played that anywhere but in my garage so far (right where the photo shows it sitting). I just put it together this week. I got the cab from a fellow bass player. The head was a throw-away (literally, saved two of then from the trash bin, knowing one worked).

Musical styles/personal history;
    I can play almost anything thrown my way.
    In general that tends to be country/new country/rock southern rock, blues or blues based rock) some r&b (Commodores style for example). I used to play in a heavily sequenced/programmed synth/pop group in the 80s. I played pro in a country act.. early 80s.

I sold a Sunn Colosseum amp back in the middle 80s because I was running DI to PA and not really using it. I've played DI with various modelers and injection devices thru the years. I have a small Fender (Bassman 25) that works great as a personal monitor in an orchestra pit with line out to FOH.

I've been thinking seriously of making myself available for pick-up gigs again and figured I needed something big enough to play a honkytonk without PA support.

Tone:
    A little hard to decribe. I've only had it together for two nights, and I've been experimenting on how I get the bass signal into the amp.

It's got plenty midrange/low end punch. It seemed a little weak in the top end when I first put it together. I was really getting in to the trble/bass controls to get little response from the amp. That was with DI/modelers straight in to the amp. The second night, I put the ART Tube MP in front of the Sansamp and the Behringer BDI21 (Sansamp clone) and the controls woke up.

It allows me to be more clean somewhat like a GK or a Fender all the way to SVT style grit. Although I don't know that I'd say it sounds just like any of those.

My other basses have active EQ (Peavey TL-Five and a Schecter Stilleto fretless 5). There's even more range with those. The Les Paul is a great at the straight ahead grind .

I'm looking forward to setting upa jam session or two where I can try it in a band context (at least with a drummer). I'll get a better feel for it then I think.

I apologize for the lengthy ramble... being new here and all.

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Man, set the wayback machine for 1981...I gigged a rig like that for some years. Peavey ProBass1000 pre, tow biga** crowns, two Peavy 1810's.

Awesome.

I don't miss it at all;)

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Wow, brings back memories for me too. In the early eighties (when I was still a teen), I had a Peavey Mark VI head and a "3620" cab (2 - 18" Black Widows and 2 - 10" Scorpions all in one cab). Talk about HEAVY. I was much younger then and used to haul that big mofo in the back of a pickup truck with a cap on the bed to protect it from rain, etc. I was a tilt back cab with wheels but that didn't help me much when I had to go up and down steps! So imagine your cab with another 18 in it and that was what I had. I used to call it "the fridge" (that was about the size and weight of it)...

6. Quadzilla

Found some pics of a 3620 like my old one. What a BEAST!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    good grief.

It seems to be a pretty good sounding cabinet. It reminds me of why I sold the Sunn though.
    Once some cash from gigging starts to accumulate I'll probably morph to another cab that has similar punch but a lot less weight.
    I'm thinking a modern 2 10 cab of some sort would probably fill the need.
    Thoughts?

8. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Are you sure that PV cab is 8 ohms? I had one, about '92 or so, and could swear it was 4ohms. That may make a diff with your amp. If it'll bridge into 4, and I am correct, you're fine. If it won't, could be trouble. Of course I could be wrong too, hasn't happened yet, but I am only 38! :)

I ran that cab biamped/sorta. I had the ProBass 1000 pre, and a stereo poweramp. I took the full range out of the pre into one ch of the amp, into the 2x10" section, and the lowpass out thru the amp into the 18", 'twas very nice. The 2x10s are sealed, so they are very fast and punchy. That section is literally 1/4 of an SVT cab. Add tons o' low-ish end from an 18 LPF'd at 100Hz or so, and I dug it. I'd buy one of those cabs today, if I saw one close enough to me. Of course I have an RCF L18P300 18" speaker that'd work in the tiny bottom section, just waiting for a home....

Lee

9. Quadzilla

The pictures don't really do the cab justice, it's monsterous. If you notice from your pic vs the 3620 pic, the 3620 is also wider (see where the speaker is in relation to the cab sides. Man I'm glad I don't have to haul that beast around anymore! I don't think that I could do it these days!

10. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    What were 'we' thinking then (What am I thinking/doing now)?

11. Quadzilla

I'd consider a Avatar 2x12 Neo if I were you. Goes down nice and low (2x10's usually don't), yet is still fairly light and portable...

12. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    The plate on the back od the cab says 8ohms. The amp is bridged for an 8ohm load.

fwiw, it's a commercial poweramp that was providing a 70volt distributed audio feed. It's supposed to be bridged mono w/ a high pass filter for 70volts. WHoever installed it (and another just like it) had built a pair of step up transformers to provide 70volts out of each channel. The result worked but the amps were being pushed too hard and popping fuses about every couple of months. Finally one of the amp channels gave up the ghost.

I put a couple of Crown amps in and was told to dump the Biamps - but I had to take both of'em. So I have another amp, with one blown channel. I may check into getting it repaired (or not)

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Quad:
    Yep, I remeber that bast*rd, and that's why I went with the two "smaller" ones.

I recommend that you look into a Schroeder 1212 cab...awesome!

14. Quadzilla

I don't miss it much execpt for the WOW factor when people used to see and hear it (it was LOUD and LOW). :D

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    hows the bdi21 sound?

16. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    Actually I've been pleasantly surprised at the BDI21.

My Sansamp is the GT2, so I can't give a qualified comparison between the BDI21 and the Tech21 BDDI. The Sansamp sounds more 'open' to me. Kinda like the difference between micing a good singer with a SM57 or a condensor mic. Same voice, same characteristics for the most part, but the condensor is more open and airy.

The BDI21 sounded much better after I inserted the TubeMP between it and the amp.

17. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Yep! Bag End.

18. mrcircle

mrcircle peacenik Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    +1

I'll never go back to 'fridges again. I go back and forth between my 1212 and 1210 for most gigs and use 'em both together whenever I think I can get away with it (usually larger outdoor gigs). I've never loved my live sound more, and my back has never been happier! :D

19. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Aye a glorious beast indeed.

20. i used to play out of one of those 1820s at our old rehearsal studio... but that 3620 is just monsterous. i can't imagine moving one of those things around.