Stick Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rjb, Nov 14, 2002.

1. rjb

Nov 10, 2002
    What is a stick bass because i've been left puzzled by this?
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Uh-oh...Emmett will be all over that one...

brad cook
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    What makes the Warr better?
  4. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Chapman Sticks are very high quality. They're a very simple instrument, so that's not as hard as others might have it. But I've never (ever?) heard of a fit & finish problem on a Stick.

Warr guitars are very nice, though, indeed.
  5. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Hey crotch, have you ever played a Stick or a Warr, I checked your profile and it didn't mention one. I find it hard to believe that someone who doesn't own either could make a valid point. The Warrs are definitely more aesthetically pleasing, but they are also heavy, and very expensive.

If you do have either one, please forgive my judgment.
  6. hey, i didn't mean to suggest that the stick is a piece of crap or anything...

a couple of my buddies are big on the "touch instruments" or whatever you want to call them. both of them praise warrguitar and it's features over the stick. sure, it's second hand info... but that counts for %100 of the people i know with any history on both instruments.

as far as i understand it, you have many more options with warr over stick.

please don't take anything i've said as a disparaging remark against the chapman stick. just pointing out one of the options for this kind of instrument.

if you ever get a chance to hear a guy by the name of "brian kinney: fresno" then you will know what one of these instruments can do. impressive.
  7. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Doesn't sound like you understand it very far. Have any of your buddies ever played either one? Just curious.

You mean, something disparaging like "but of much better quality is the Warr Guitar"?

You could've done that by just pointing out one of the other options.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying you have some agenda or anything, I'm not getting into the whole Stick/Warr argument. But to jump in the middle of a discussion and say "Oh the Grixls are much higher quality than the Wazoos", when your firsthand experience with either is zilch. . .lame!
  8. Here's my Warr 8-string. It has Piezos in the bridge which give it an amazing tone. The body is very heavy as is the neck but I really like that feel.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I've never tried a Stick so I can't really compare them. Warr guitars are as good as very high-end basses. Check out my pics from NAMM:

and of course, the incomparable Brian Kenney Fresno! Whooooo! :D

- Dave
  9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Dave, how is your 8-string strung? What guages and tuning do you use?
  10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I prefer the Grixls.
  11. I was thinking of getting a used Stick Bass or maybe an 8-string Austin Douglas Guitar and tuning it ADGCCGDA, with the guitar in ascending fifths and the bass in fourths. Having the guitar in fifths would make chords a bit more open (NST is great) and playing down low on bass would still be easy.

But, I need to become a better bassist first.
  12. It's tuned in straight fourths from a low-B like on a bass - BEADGCFBb. I'm not exactly sure what the gauges are but it's tuned down a fourth from what it would be for normal bass strings. That is, the low-B is really like a heavy E-string tuned down. This makes it really easy to tap on. The tone is incredible.

- Dave
  13. here is a Russian one (the first stick ever built in Russia, actually)

14. christ. people are freaking sensitive here.

you ever type something in a hurry?

i'm afraid if i use bad spelling i'll have to answer to yngwie farkin malmstien.
    (ham handed brian kinney referance)
  15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Although Blackbird provide the most obvious answer to the question, I have heard people in the UK refer to Electric Upright Basses as "stick basses" - espcialy when thinking about something like my NSCR5 :
  16. That's mighty twee-sounding, and reminiscent of the free jazz percussionist (don't remember which) who calls his instruments "hitty things."