stick to five or back to four!?!?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkopotimus, Mar 26, 2001.

1. i'm torn between going back to four or stickin with a five when i get a new bass,has anybody else had inner torment like this?? if so post up!
  2. Torn between the L2500 and the Spector are we?
  3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Do you like the 5? Or are you thinking that going for a 5 String bass is "Evolving" ?

If your music requires it, get a 5 String. If not, and you feel comfortable with the 4 string, stick with it.

Personally, I cant play in a 4 string bass. Im too dumb to make good music with it.
    Thats why I play a 6 string.
  4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I like the extended range that extra strings provide (I owned a 6 and now a 5) but I'll always keep playing 4 strings because the smaller neck dimensions are so comfortable for my hands. When I first got the 6 I thought I'd leave the 4 behind but having to reach around the extra strings really made me appreciate the compact simplicity of 4 strings.
  5. hahha partialy there spacegoat, but i still think the g&L has more versatility then the spector.....but its so damn nice!!!!! DAGHH!!! why'd you tell me to try that, you bastard!!!

ok, i play five string now, but i dont conciously know how much i use the low string....its really nice and i thikn i wanna keep it but i'm not sure, i thinkk i'm gonna have to go bug people at my local stores by playing both endlessly tell i reach a conclusion!
  6. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Why don't you keep both kinds? I have a 5 string which is my main axe. But I will always retain my Precision bass. Once in a while, it is nice to be reminded how much fun it is to play a 4-string.
  7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I recently went back to a 4 string after playing a 5 for three years.I wasnt using the low string that much,and Ive got small hands,so the 4 suits my needs better than the 5(for now).No plans to sell my 5 though.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  9. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Once again, the most subjective question out there. Whatever *YOU* think suits *YOUR* needs the best is what you should do. You're asking what *YOU* should do, not what *I* should do. Now if you asked what *I* would do, *I* (ain't the stars gettin annoying:D) would go for another 5, simply for the reason that it gives me more versatility, plus I started on a 5 and a 4 feels like the bass is missin' somethin to me.
  10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I have been playing the five out more and more, and playing a four is starting to feel a little strange. I can't foresee a time when I won't play fours, though. They have too much history.

Is it the same for you? I don't know. you gotta figure it out on your own. Do you hear stuff that goes below E? if that's the case, the 5 may be for you.

Will C.:cool:
  11. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
  12. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I bought one 5-string in February and I love it! The B-string is really important to me, but I know it shouldn´t be overused..
  13. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I think I know how you feel. I've been playing a 4 for years, then bought a G&L2500. Of my 7 basses, that is the only one which is not a 4, but it gets about 50% of my playing time as it sounds so great. For a while, I thought of selling the 4s and adding an extra 5 or two, but in the end decided that I'll keep playing both. There are some things that I will never feel comfortable playing on a 5 (classic rock, slap), as there are some things that only a 5 can pull off.
    So, I learned to be flexible - I can switch to any of my basses and play about equally bad, regardless of neck/shape size, layout, number of strings etc. If you put your mind to it, it's not really tough. This way, I get to enjoy all the unique characteristics of each instrument.
  14. ok see when i get a bass it'll be an upgrade, i'm playin a fairly annoying fender mex.jazz fiver.

I'm hopin to get a G&L either L-2000 or L-2500 when i get the cash, this is really me trying to deiced which one i want. cause i do use my fifth string but not near as much as the other four...
  15. I feel your pain... I had a 4 and only reason I got the 5 I have is because I got a good deal on it ('96 MIA Jazz V for $500)... and I find I never use the 5th string... and also I have kinda small hands, and sometimes its hard to play. I kinda like having the 5 but sometimes it just is a hinderence
  16. SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    BOTH!!! (cheap post)
  17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you get a bass with a great B string, you will find yourself using it more.

My Ibanez 506 has an OK B, and I found myself only using it for those low notes.

Now that I have 2 5's with a great B string(Pedulla Rapture J2 and Zon Sonus Custom fretless), I find myself on the B string no matter where I am on the neck. Open position, 5th fret, 9th, 12th, whatever.

Now I am looking for a 6 with a great B string.
  18. 5 or 4? Bottom line is, it's up to you! (And it shouldn't matter what anybody else prefers).
  19. BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Methinks this is like the 1000th thread posted on such a topic. *eagerly awaits thread 1001*
  20. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I've been playing a four string for many years but I ordered a five string in August and should receive it next week. I'm excited about getting it but kind of nervous that I might not like playing it.