1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

stick to what i have or go SX?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ramboand, Dec 8, 2006.

1. hey guys, im very interested in ordering an SX bass for xmas as i hear they are very nice quality for the price. i currently play a 4 string mexican jazz standard and i love it as well. but it has some issues, a missing knob or two...a little rusted and chipped and its kinda old. do you guys think i should put my money into fixing up the fender or go with an SX...maybe a cheaper fretless(ive always wanted to play) and put the rest into the fender. let me know what you think. and if u think i should stick with the fender, what should i put on it to give it an amazing sound?

2. Just because it's a little rough around the edges isn't necessarily a reason to get rid of it. The questions I'd ask are, How does it sound and how does it feel?

A whole bunch of folks play basses that look beat to death but they sound/feel so good that they wouldn't give them up for anything.

3. arbarnhart

arbarnhart

Nov 16, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    SX does have that $99 fretless; I suspect that is what you are referring to. If you are thinking of trying fretless on a budget, that is certainly a reasonable option. But knobs are really cheap, rust can be cleaned off and old doesn't mean bad...

4. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Did you allow the MIM jazz to get like this or was it second hand and abused. Knobs are really cheap, you can polish off rust and crud and a few dings or scratches add charactor...look at Jaco's jazz and many other pro's ...many are very rough around the edges.

An Sx are ok but you really are not getting much more since you are replacing a Fender with a clone. You could change the pups but new strings and a good setup might make that Mexi shine..its in the fingers and how you play.

If you want fretless them you have a point..go get a cheaper SX fretless so if fretless aint your bag your not out of alot of bucks.

I vote stick with what you got ..clean it up and put on new strings..for god's sake take care of it.

5. yeh, i love my fender...it wasn't treated well in the past before i took it on...and i cleaned it up to its point now. still, like i said, it has dings and rust that i never cleaned up. a problem with it is that my e-string keeps coming out of the clip at the top of neck...how would i fix that? can a new piece be installed?

6. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i've owned an SX, and i can tell you that they are budget priced instruments - and they feel it. play a couple and compare them to your MIM, you may find your MIM to be superior to the SX's you play.

i personally have not found an SX that played better than a MIM, but others here swear that they have.

7. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I'd keep the Mexi Fender. A new nut costs about $30 installed (to fix the e-string from popping out), and the knobs are totally cheap. If the nut is not broken, maybe you just need to restring it "the right way" to get some downward pressure on the E? Dunno without seeing it. It's one or the other though - string it correctly, or the nut is cracked.

8. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I'm an SX fan,I've got a couple.I say keep the Fender too,you already like it and you won't get anything more with an SX.Fenders are cheap to fix and a nut isn't too expensive.

9. I also advocate SX basses as cheap giggable instruments, BUT - there's nothing like the feel of a good Fender or such. That's the reason I just sold my SX Jazz and bought a MIM Fender Jazz from TBer Fourstringdrums. That big, chunky, gloss-caked neck just wouldn't allow me to play as smoothly for quicker paced songs. It's fine on my SX Precison, where I'm playing steadily in one position (generally), but for a jazz I go with the feel over everything. Pickups can be replaced; a nice, broken in, fast neck cannot.

Yeah, they're beater instruments, but don't sell what you have now, which is likely a solid bass, for something more rough around the edges. You'd be better off just saving up the cash and either upgrading the MIM if it needs it, or buying an SX. Don't sell the Fender for it.

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Keep the fender. Take it to a tech to see if they can fix the nut [the clip thing at the end of the neck].

take it easy.

11. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    10-4 on the neck ...you nailed it right. the SX jazz i had had the worse gloss neck...if your hands got sweaty watch out.I think thats why SX are so damn heavy 3 lbs of gloss coat. I like the satin gloss on MIM.A lil' steelwool and whoa...

12. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Replace all the electronics on your MIM and get new knobs. That is exactly what I am planning on doing with my MIM Jazz.