Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stick with what I've got, or...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Aug 6, 2005.

1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    ...switch up?

I was just curious if I might be better off switching up on my FX setup.

Currently I have a Boss TU-2 tuner, Boss DD3 Delay, Boss Bass Chorus, Boss Super Phaser and Ibanez PD7 in a single Looop.

Would something like a Boss GT-6B be able to replace all of these pretty effectively?? I'm also trying to work out the cheapest way to correctly EQ my basses and fit them to taste w/out changing anything on my amp. Even if I got this, I'd still keep the Loooper just to keep things clean... ;)

Thoughts??

2. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i thought the same thing a while back: "why buy single effects when i could buy myself a multi and save myself money?".. so i bought an me-50b which is in reality a pretty good multi, but i still kept on buying the single stomps.. so in the end i sold it. i just dont think a multi can emulate the effects it claims to. personally, i now tend to steer away from boss. its a great brand but in the end none of the effects i bought really had that fantastic edge. the PD7 is actually a good OD for the price, but its too noisy. some of the lesser known brands actually have very good quality products for around the same price.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If what you have works, why change? Right? Second, switching from individual effects pedals to a multi-effects unit is usually a pretty big mistake IMO. Instead of consolidating, you're usually making it more difficult to access each effect, and you have less flexibility with order and whatnot.

On top of that, figure how much money you're losing by selling your stomps less than retail value, and it's REALLY not worth it.

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    I guess that's true. There's a few things I'd like to add to my board, but not sure if there are any "really good" FX that'd do it... Maybe I'll just wait til I can afford an Eventide or somethin'. :) What, with like 500+ presets, I should be able to find a few I like, huh? :hyper: :bassist:

5. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I think the advantage of the all-in-ones is just convenience. The sounds themselves just never seem to measure up to what's available in a single pedal. And if you buy a multi effect unit for convenience as soon as you hear a new 'must have' pedal you're back to leads & stuff again, right where you started. Just my opinion.

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

And a good opinion at that... The only thing I guess that'd be neat about having one is just to tinker, ya know? And from what I gather from reading various threads about it, that's pretty much all the Boss and even POD XL are good for. Nothin' all that fancy smancy. But considering the Eventide unit I want used is like only 2/3'rds the cost of the Boss multi new, it's inspiration to save up!! :hyper: