Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stick woth GK or go elsewhere..?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzmann23, Jan 11, 2003.

1. jazzmann23

jazzmann23 Guest

Sep 11, 2002
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I have been shopping around for a new setup for a while and i really can't find alot i like as far as amps and cabs are concerned. I have read reviews and played alot of gear, but it seems i always come back to my trusty GK 1001rb 210 combo. I really want a pre/power amp setup and i know GK has a preamp that is rather affordable that is based on the 2001Rb's pre. Should i try it? I haven't read reviews on it yet but it looks rather flexible and the od channel looks cool. The only other thing i played that I liked was a SWR 4004 through a Genz-Benz XB2 210 cab. I really want to try a XB2 410 with the GK pre, I already have a QSC PLX 1202. Anyways advice? comments? suggestions? I'm not much on tube pre's so i guess I'm a solid-state kinda guy, despite what others say I can get a really warm sound with my Lakland 55-94 deluxe through the GK and GK has NEVER let me down despite abuse.

2. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    The GK pre is a good one. There are no reviews because the thing is not for sale yet. I have played to protos and they are very quiet and a bit warmer than the pre in your 1001. I know you stated that you are not a tube guy, but the Alembic F1-X is very tight despite have a tube in it. I quite like those as well. That's my 2 cents...

3. jazzmann23

jazzmann23 Guest

Sep 11, 2002
    Murfreesboro, TN
    thanks alot trip for the info. I e-mailed Bass NW a couple of months ago about the preamp and I think they were for sale cause they quoted a price for me. Anyways thanx again for all you do here on the boards.

4. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    If they are shipping no one tells me anything!:( They may just have a price list. Let us all know what you decide.

5. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Why don't you just get a GK RBH cab(2-10,4-10,1-15)to put under your 1001RB combo.You'd get 200 watts more out of your amp and would be pushing more air as well.The 1001RB really puts out the volume at 4 ohms.

6. jazzmann23

jazzmann23 Guest

Sep 11, 2002
    Murfreesboro, TN
    To be honest, I don't like the GK cabs . I had a MESA/boogie diesel series 210 with EV's in it and I liked it alot better. A cab that's really impressed me the most is an Epifani 410T and the genz-benz 210 XB2. Besides, I want the headroom of a more powerful amp can deliver.

7. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Epifani is very good. Genuine good and not "hype" good. If you know what I mean. The Gk cabs are brutally honest about what goes into them. Some folks are put off by that. The bass tone I REALLY want is the one that comes out of my Tannoy near-fields. Or some Genelec, or DynaAudio Acoustics. I am going to work with Bob Gallien on that one! That will be fun!

8. wonkeaux

wonkeaux

Jan 11, 2003
    Boston MA USA
    I had a GK 800RB which blew up after 3 songs at Boston's Legendary Rathskellar ("the Rat") it was at least 5 years old I guess, I replaced 2 burnt resistors which blew again, then I replaced some power transistors which blew, so I took it to a shop which kept it for 6 months in total, first they said they fixed it but hadn't, then they sent it to Cali where GK replaced literally everything inside the chassis, (it got sent back to Cali once before I got it because it was sent C.O.D. and no one int he store wanted to pay it or some B.S.) finally I got it back, I opened it up to see what they replaced and everything was shiny and new. then it blew up again. a friend who worked at a big guitar store said they know their transformers on that unit fail but can't be bothered to reconfigure their assembly line. I can't verify that as a fact mind you, but I won't buy another GK product after this.

9. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    My 800 works great.

10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I've been using GK's now since 1987. I love them.