Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stickberger Travel Bass: world's most compact portable!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by westland, Jan 4, 2006.

1. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    :eyebrow: OK ... maybe I'm overstating, :D but I just got through modifying an already compact Steinberger 4 by cutting off the wings, gutting the electronics and replacing with a single phone jack that ties the two passive pickups together.

It's light (6 lbs? ... I haven't weighed yet) and finally I have a bass that fits inside a standard suitcase.

The straps attach to Dunlop straplocks that are recessed into the bass, thus with the Steinberger tuners, keep the actual length at just about 34" (string scale). Plus the overall design is very robust -- no batteries, detuning, warping or other problems. Just the essentials (and a Korg Pandora, of course)

Here are pics.

Attached Files:

• top.jpg
      top.jpg
      File size:
      21.7 KB
      Views:
    • top2.jpg
      top2.jpg
      File size:
      32.7 KB
      Views:
  2. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    ... it seems I can only attach two per post :meh:

Attached Files:

• end.jpg
      end.jpg
      File size:
      45.8 KB
      Views:
    • full.jpg
      full.jpg
      File size:
      16 KB
      Views:
  3. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    How about making a detatchable lower horn so you don't have to play with a strap (I mean just a single piece of material in the correct shape, not a solid horn). Otherwise, looks like a pretty effective travel instrument, good thinking.

4. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    You mean like the Aria Sinsonido Bass?

[​IMG]

Jim

5. Pretty cool... however, it's not that big of a deal to check an instrument through as checked luggage IMO, and I'd much rather have a 'real' instrument on the gig. When I was regularly flying with an instrument, I purchased a nice MM Stingray 5... sounded good, played great, very stable neck and simple construction, and it wouldn't kill me if it was damaged or stolen (which it never was).

6. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    Who the hell names a bass "Sinsonido"?!?!?!

"Sin Sonido" => Spanish for "without sound" or "no sound" :confused:

7. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    That's exactly what it means. Aria has a line of Sinsonido guitars: a steel string, a nylon string and a bass. They are sold as travel guitars and come with headphone.

So you can play and hear what you are doing but for others around you, there is "no sound."

Jim

8. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I have one of these and it's actually a pretty cool bass.

Mine is the (lined) fretless version -- I have it strung with Labella BNT's and it gives a nice "upright" kinda sound. It has piezo pickups, 1 Volume control and one tone control.

It's also fun to play it in "stick" mode (See photo.)

The best part is it only weighs 4 pounds!

9. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    I forgot that Aria has a fretless Sinsonido. I may have to look again.

Jim

10. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    The Aria is actually longer and less robust (I've checked them out at Ed Roman's) ... I like Ned Steinbergers design for the tuners, the Aria's are not as good.

I've just put on the little hinged lower horn from the Steinberger, and that allows playing without the strap.

I do like not having to check a bass during travel. Since, by default, I travel internationally (Hong Kong is so small) I'm limited to two carry ons (and usually have 3). It's just one less thing to carry.

11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    This bass has caught my eye. Any chance you could post a sound clip of it?