Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sticker Goo

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SLiGhTLy_STooPiD, Nov 20, 2000.

1. Uhh...let's say I've got a friend...named...Billy......Sue...Billy-Sue, that's it! And He put on 17 stickers all over his bass. And now he's trying to get the stickers off, but there's the goo and paper stuck on the bass. How might Billy-Sue get that off? I was thinking maybe gasoline.

2. Not Gasoline! One of the best and safest solutions would be to use a product called "Goo Gone". You could use lighter fluid but be sure to get it off quickly. Be careful to use a 100% soft cotton cloth because a lot of finishes actually soften up when you use a cleaner like these. Several applications may be necessary and don't rub too hard.

3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Goo Be Gone, Maybe some sort of alcohol. i dunno for sure

4. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

::Homer voice on::

MMMmmmm Sticker goo!! AAAAAAaaaaaaggggghhhh!

::Homer voice off::

Chris A:rolleyes:

5. Sampoerna

Sampoerna Guest

Oct 9, 2000
    W. KY, USA
    Anytime I need to remove adhesives, I use Ronsonol or some other brand of lighter fluid (naptha). I wouldn't soak the area...just put enough on to wet the left-over sticker parts and peel it up with my fingernails.

Like bassbrad said, watch for your finish softening up...but you shouldn't have that prob with Ronsonol. It evaporates really quickly.

6. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    There are comercial brand adhesive removers, spray on wipe off kinda thing. Any acetone based stuff will work, fingernail polish remover etc... Be careful, the fumes from this stuff is not good for you and quite flammable, so be sure you clean your guitar thoroughly after you get the "goo" off.

7. That Goo B Gone works great.

8. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    WD-40 works wonders on sticker goo too.

9. Don't listen to mikemulcahy fingernail polish remover may also remove or cloud your finish and a lot of the 'commercial' brands are caustic and can cause your finish to bubble up or spot out. Soap also works well as does bore oil.

10. and yet another vote for Goo B Gone

11. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I've tried Goo Be Gone and WD-40. WD-40 worked much better. YMMV

Pkr2

12. If I had a Poly finish I wouldn't care what I used... Poly is tough,man!

13. Maybe its a good excuse to buy a new bass? :D
    Reckon you should try it. lol

Merls