Stickers for the fret board

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by backtoschool, Feb 11, 2001.

1. backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    I've seen some pretty cool stickers on the fret boards where the dots are and I was wondering if anyone knew where you could get those or if they are a custom job and I'm just retarded?
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Maybe what you saw were custom inlays. A lot of "boutique" bass (and guitar) manufacturers use ornamental inlays to make their instruments more distinguishable visually, although their contribution to the sound is diddly. ( I didn't mean for that to rhyme). Most companies make the inlays out of mother-of-pearl.

If it's worth your while, you can have a luthier create a custom inlay for your fingerboard, but I wouldn't recomment it on a cheap instrument, as it'll be more expensive than the bass itself!

WIll C.:cool:
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I saw a site last week that offered adhesive, fake inlays but I can't remember where. I think I saw them discussed by some guitarists at the Carvin discussion board.

If you do find them, better look for any info about them leaving gunk in/on your fingerboard, especially if it's rosewood. I hope you're not playing fretless.
  4. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
  5. i put those little star stickers over my inlays, you know, the ones that come in sheets of different colors. they're real cheap and they look so cool. yeah, they do leave a little gunk on my rosewood fretboard, but i don't care because i don't plan to ever sell my current bass (it's my first) and i'm keeping the stickers on.
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I found the one I was thinking of. They use real sheets of abalone so it isn't cheap. Their FAQ says their product, (I call `em "onlays"), doesn't cause buzzes and doesn't wear down execpt if you have very low profile frets, (i.e., guitar). I imagine fretless would be another story.