Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stickers on wood?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by apparatus, Aug 5, 2003.

1. I'd like to put some stickers on my bass.. the thing is it has a "hand-rubbed oil finish on walnut and bubinga", which means that it's not like putting a sticker on a normal, painted body. in normal cases, it's easy to take the stickers off again, but how does it work when the sticker is on wood?

yeah, I'm not punk enough to saw "**** it", but I seriously don't want to screw anything up ;).

Edited by Embellisher for inappropriate profanity

2. You could possibly scratch, dent, or ruin the finish while trying to pry the sticker off, and if you were to use a solvent it could possibly bleach the wood, and most of all, when you go to take it off, that wood will be lighter than the surrounding wood, like a tan line.:eek:

3. Do NOT ruin your bass with stickers and crap. I put a bunch of stickers on my Ibanez and when I wanted to take them off, it was nearly impossible. It left all this sticky goo crap and a bunch of scratches from my trying to take them off. Plus, it makes you look like a typical pop-punk,emo teen. Unless thats what look your trying to go for, DO NOT DO IT!!

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Funny. My friend did that (covered his guitar in stickers) and then when he wanted to take them off, I offered to do it. I used a citrus cleaner/solvent thing (no idea what the brand names are for that sort of cleaner), and when it was done, all was good. Of course, this was on a poly finish. No scratching, just peeling and rubbing with a regular wash cloth, and bammo, done in a half hour (this thing even had stickers on the back of the neck...)

Citrus cleaner is pretty handy overall, actually. I don't know if it'd muss up an oiled finish, though it most likely would.

5. I haven't seen your bass, but probably If I did,I would tell you not to ruin its beauty with stickers..

6. The thing is, at first I did use Citrus cleaner, but that only removed the non-sticky part of the stickers (if that makes any sense at all) thus making me scrape and pull and peel the rest off, pretty much ruining my finish. I think it was because the stickers have been on for years and years, and must have been put on with super-glue too or something.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Huh. Mine took everything off, and these had been sweat, teared, and bled upon.

Maybe my citrus cleaner is better?

Dunno. Go figure. :meh:

8. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    If you're going to put stickers on your bass, which I personally wouldn't, put it on the pickguard. You can hopefully replace that if you wanted to take the stickers off at a future time. Just remember also, stickers don't help you out if you decide to sell your bass!

9. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Yea I agree, don't do it.
    get a good bass with a pick guard, Fender P or J bass or a MM.

Here is a pic of the only bass I have stickers on:

10. Nice Conklin. Thats a GT series right? Looks just like my 5 string, just more strings:D

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I wouldnt recommend puttin stickers on a natural wood finish. I used to have one on my non-natural finishh bass and when i took it off, it left glue marks, but i can take those off, im just llazy and they are on the back anyway. I assume the glue would sink into the wood too much because it is a poris (sp?) material and it would mess it up.

12. thanks for the replies. I realized that it would have been ugly anyway. :)

13. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Yea, just a plain GT-7.