Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stickers or no stickers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mikey96, Nov 18, 2000.

1. I was wondering how many of you, like me put a lot of stickers on your basses, what ones you have, and why exactly u enjoy "defacing' your bass.? I was also wondering for those that do not, why they do not put stickers on their basses.

Currently on my bass i have green day, nirvana, no use for a name, gob, a.f.i., hevs duties, digger, daft punk, and others which have unfortunately been covered up byu my newer stickers.

I put stickers on my bass because I always remember kind of feeling a more personal attachment with an artist, when I would see em play and have tons of stickers of bands i like, plus i feel like the audience can see what im into (that might not be a good thing), and to be brutally honest i get some sick rush out of decorating my bass with stickers. Ill even go so far as to ask u guys if u have any stickers of your band or bands you like to send em to me, and ill put em on my bass, cause im always lookin for more stickers, if u have any email me at osgood@wwonline.com

2. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I used to put stickers on my bass amp, but they started comeing off and it was a pain to keep them on there so took them all off and cleaned it up, I am much happier now that I did that. It looks a whole lot better, and I would never put anything on my basses, they look far too good to ruin that. but everything else has stickers on it, like casses and other stuff music related.

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

In my heavy metal days, I did put distinctive stickers on my red Yamaha Attitude Limited, and my deep blue Ibanez Soundgear 800, and my black Jackson Concert Five 5-string bass.

The Yamaha bass was covered with these nasty and very realistic looking insect stickers like spiders and cock roaches, fire ants and centipedes. The cock roaches were particularly realistic. I even had one stuck on the headstock. Kids in the audience close to the stage really looked hard at those ugly stickers. They had to be removed when I switched to blues and fortunately they did not leave any marks or goo or scratches at all.

The Ibanez at one time sported sparkly stickers I had found that glowed in certain levels of light. I often changed stickers on the Ibanez searching for exactly THE stickers to enhance the style of metal/rap we were playing, but was never quite satisfied. Plus only people close to the stage can really see tham anyway.

On my black Jackson, I had a three dimensional stick-on skull that was very effective because it stood out at a greater distance. That skull has been on the bass nearly ten years and I do worry that it will damage the finish if I remove it. I am planning to sell that bass, so I am concerned about what I've done. Still, if the buyer plays metal, that skull is just killer on that bass.

Now for my two wood finished basses, the Tobias and the Washburn acoustic-electric...no way never am I putting stickers on those basses!

My bass cases are stuck up with a great variety of stickers from the names of bands like Pantera, Metallica, White Zombie, radio stations, names of albums,bumper stickers and the name of the current band in big letters, plus my name in big letters. Also, I always carry a big tool box full of gig "stuff" for every contingency and that is stuck up with many stickers too and my name and band's name. My philosophy is that it is harder for someone to steal distinctive looking cases and gig kits, because everyone will know they are mine. Where I used to live, you had to guard music equipment with your life. I did lose an adorable Stimpy stuufed doll I used to put on my speaker stack. I turned my back one second and it was gone. I've also had a skeleton I put on the stack...Ricky Roquera was his name. He disappeared after a gig too. I miss him to this day. He was lucky for me.

I don't play in any bands at the moment, but my bass cases still have all those stickers. They bring back happy memories.

Jason Oldsted

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I leave stickers off my instrument, as I treat them relatively nicely and have no desire to play an instrument that looks like it competed in NASCAR. I also think an unblemished instrument looks more professional; it won't lock you out of a wedding gig or dance, for example. If you beat your instrument to **** or play music which requires this, I can see how stickers might constitute and aesthetic improvement.

5. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I only put stickers on roadcases and a couple of bass cases to let roadies and myself know what side up to pack stuff.

6. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    No stickers on my basses, cases or car bumpers. I'm just anti-sticker I guess. :D

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Stickers on an instrument? Not for me...

I did start putting stickers on my "gig" case.
    One day, we're playing some outdoor festival with about 6 other bands. I break an "E" string mid-song(really)...I'm yelling at one of the stagehands, "In my case is a set of strings; in my case, in my case, IN MY CASE..."!
    He looks puzzled. The song's over, the frontman is BS-ing, I go over to see what it is this guy ain't getting. I look over the stage's edge & there's about 20 black cases laid out. DUH!
    Stickers...plenty of hockey stickers on my generic "gig" case(currently, I'm in Fender gig bag mode).

8. i might be anti-sticker but i think i just haven't found the perfect sticker, maybe my bummper isn't big enough

9. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I am in the process of refinishing my cheesy-assed Hondo converted fretless bass with...(drum roll)...pictures of cheese! I've already e-mailed folks at work to begin saving any picture of cheese from any magazine they can find. I'm gonna go whole hog and do the body, pickguard, pickups and headstock. Then I will have the world's cheesiest bass. Should be pretty cool!

-robert

10. Sampoerna

Sampoerna Guest

Oct 9, 2000
    W. KY, USA
    Mmmmm...cheese. :D

I just e-mailed someone at Peterbilt of Nashville to see how I could go about obtaining a Peterbilt emblem. I've always wanted one (nostalgia from a road trip taken with my mom and her PB-drivin' boyfriend when I was around six or seven years old). If I can get a good source, I'll get an emblem for myself and another for my bass. :) Silly and sentimental, I know...but it means quite a bit to me. Man, oh, man...nothing quite like seeing a well-maintained classic Peterbilt rollin' on the highway to get me all choked up.

11. I don't put stickers on the body. i have this indepth fear of devaluement (is that a word?) I have a very expensive bass. I guess it stems from the fact that my dad is very much "don't touch". God if he ever saw the jumping around i did with it..... :D

I put stickers on the case, i think its a statement about what music you like, like if you have a celine Dion sticker on ya case then ppl know to hate you. lol But i have Metallica etc. Its a statement. lolol

Merls

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I have an Electra EB-3 copy I use for experiments. Where do you get good old bike decals like flaming skulls ? Right now it's plastered with those silhouettes of nude women posing in a sitting position with their legs stretched out that you get in car part stores.

13. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Ooh, just the thread I've been waiting for...

I have on my Ibanez EDB 405 two metallic silver flames that come from my neck pickup (on each side of the PU) back towards the bridge. It is the sweetest addition I've ever made to my bass. Besides that, on the battery plate I have my signature. Oh, BTW my bass is jewel blue in color which contrasts nicely with the silver.

J

14. backtoschool

backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    On my cheap ibanez 4 string bass I have stickers on there (and enough of them) that it is an extension of me and that's exactly what I was going for.

I think that if you put stickers on, they should say something about the person who is playing it. Influences, favorite bands, mottos, people you like, your favorite president, etc...what ever's you.

15. Lol or favorite vote counting state. *mutters florida* lol
    I just got a cool sticker from a gig, Sydney band caleld Psi Kore.

Merls

16. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I dont use stickers i use pics.I take pics scan them into my cpu then print & cover the printed one with wide tape so that they don't get messed up. So on my bass right now i have a few pics going from just below my bridge in a row/line. it goes Ashley,Bre, then Theresa. Gonna add more as i get more [pics]. thats all

17. i like stickers

18. Yeah AFI rules!
    I don't have any stickers on it now but I'm planning to get The Offspring, AFI, Sublime, and Nitro Records. I might also put a cool skull on it.
    Will this do anything bad to my bass?

19. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I can't imagine the beautiful walnut of my Carvin with a sticker on it. Anyway, i like stickers, but i prefer to keep them stored or under the glass of a writing-desk, since i think that sooner of later, a sticker on a moving object get worn so ugly that it's a shame to show it. :)

20. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Hi.
    well every person has their taste, on everything...even with this sticker thing. I like them, but i really dislike when people wrap their entire instrument with them, sorry it´s just me, but it makes it look awful.
    Of course if you are in a punk band, that should fit your attitude (messed up bass, Really don´t care about it) or simply you are a big nirvana fan and want to show that...for each it´s own.

I have only ONE sticker on my bass, and it´s all it needs, one more and i would feel uncomfortable.

It´s just a japanese anime supergirl with japanese letters, looks fine and says nothing about bands i like. (well except you are a Radiohead Fan and see that Jonny Greenwood uses anime girls on his guitars)....jeje

Ok bye!!