Stickin' it to the Man

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by darkfish01, Jan 30, 2006.

1. darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    Hello all. I play bass for my church youth group and it seems as if our "sound guy" loves to come and mess with our stuff. This supposed "sound guy" is actually the father of the drummer (slash singer slash guitarist slash bassist... you know those kind of people) and feels like we have no idea what we're doing and he will play God with our sound. Either way, he loves to throw me out of the mix and replace me with a boomy low end with no mids and little treble. When I get the chance I'll run over to the soundboard and turn down the bass and raise the mids so I can be heard better through my OLP Stingray. Unfortunately, it's passive and I run my limiter enhancer and chorus pedals straight into the DI. I'm thinking of getting one of those Behringer Bass Equalizer pedals to try and boost the mids whilst the "sound guy" is at the helm of our mixer. Is there anything else I could do? Your thoughts? :help:
  2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Talk to him about it. I'm sure he's not unreasonable.
  3. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    I know this type. He'll either give you a 10 minute explanation of how you're wrong or yes you to death and do what he wants. But if you get the pedal he'll just "fix" you regardless.

I'm not saying don't talk to him, that's the best advice u'll probably get, but I'mjust giving you a heads up lol.
  4. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    I'd suggest telling someone you trust to play while you go to the board. Adjust from there. You might be coming across differently in that room. Although I'd think you sound boomy if anything. If you're right, which I suspect you probably are, go to the board, on your channel, and write in big red permanent marker DO NOT TOUCH. Or just run out of the mix. Either way.
  5. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Buy bigger amp take soundman out of equation :D
  6. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah, I gotta do that with one of my church situations.

The guy doesn't know how to turn me up, let alone EQ me, so now i'm just gonna have to lug the Ampeg to practice every sunday. Now that woudln't be such a big deal if the house wasn't a bunch of really nice Carvin speakers!!!!
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Wow - stickin ' it to the man!! :confused:

I thought Churches were all about brotherly love and turning the other cheek - like Jesus talked about.....:eyebrow:
  8. mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Is he like the "director" of the music department of that church or something? Why are you avoiding talking to him? You don't want to go too long in any of those situations...

I have a friend who is an amazing guitarist and much more talented than his songwriter/singer rhythm guitarist and he constantly says nothing as the singer/rhythm turns up his amp way too loud every show.
  9. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Obligatory. :rolleyes:
  10. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

Definately the easiest solution.

Put the control of your sound back into your own hands.
  11. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    1. Avoiding talking to the "sound guy" and sounding like poo because of it would probably get you fired from any other gig. Playing bass is a business, you have to act like a businessman. Talk to him, comprimise.

2. A pedal will only make it worse when he "fixes" your sound again. I wouldn't recommend EQ-ing before he does, because he can just boost and cut even more I'm sure.
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I can't believe that this is a Church we're talking about....:meh:
  13. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    This is quite obvious the main problem with Organised Religion.......Sound Guys :p :D :bassist:

Just talk to the guy about it, I'm sure he'll be cool, my previous answer was a joke hell this answer is a joke, except the part where I said talk to him, maybe he doesn't know.
  14. My dad was a minister, and you have NO idea what politics and BS goes on behind the scenes in God's house...!:scowl:
  15. Don't do the pedal; they're right. He'll just adjust you more.
    If you go the larger amp route, the most they can do is tell you to turn down, or up. You'll control your tone.

Before you up your expenses, talk to him and explain your concerns.

The other thing you can do is get some people out in the congregation you trust to listen to you and give their opinions of your sound. Maybe you're not as "boomy" as you think, since you're not out there to hear it, (although I doubt that from what you're describing.) Then, armed with enough information and opinions from the "audience", maybe the soundman will come around to your way of thinking. But if you don't talk to him, nothing will get resolved.

Good luck!
  16. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    We're talking CHURCH-politics, Man. He very-well could be.

I'd still try to talk to him, Dark. Maybe you could find a CD (that he'd LIKE) with a proper bass mix; play that through the system, like you're coming to him to help you get this sound you've been having trouble achieving. Then he gets all the glory (well - I mean right-after, uh.. you know...) - sound-genius that he is, and all...

I just don't get how soundmen get this idea that they can completely change the sound that a musician's actually playing-to. I mean if I had to play mud (and KNEW it), I'd maybe play with a different style, or come-up with a whole different bass part because of it. ..But there are musicians all over the place who are playing to their own carefully-crafted sound, and unknown to them - hundreds of listeners at-a-time are hearing a sound that's dis-jointed from the musician's intent.

To me, it's akin to 'playing a practical joke' on a musician to do that.

(edit) I mean - how'bout having a keyboardist just send a MIDI cable up to the board. That way he could be monitoring a pipe organ on-stage, and the soundman can instead give the audience a couple fist-fulls of bugles or Kazoos.
  17. I guess that pretty much shows the importance of getting a soundman that is wanting to be part of the music of the band, not just the "soundman of the band" because it's cool! If your soundman can't get the sound YOU want to portray, then he's not the right guy for the job! Move on!
  18. Amen! (pun intended).