Stickin' to a 4 string...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Barfly, Jan 3, 2001.

1. Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    After reading all of your posts regarding the 4 vs. 5 string, I am personally sticking to a 4. Being that most of my stuff is cover tunes, if I want the low's a drop-D is good enough for me. I have never felt comfortable on a 5 and have never really needed the low-B anyway, so this suits me just fine. I have total respect and admiration for all of you 5 and 6 string players, but 4 is perfect for me.

Keep rockin, everyone, and Happy New Year !!!
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Interesting choice! And, one that I personally favor:D! Enjoy!
  3. I agree! I'm a 4 string player in my heart of hearts although I have owned 5 and 6's!

If I want to go lower, I can hit the lower notes on my Moog Taurus pedals or use my KORG G-5 Synth processor!

4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I have played 4 string bass for about 15 years now, and i feel the need for a five string. So many song in Eb and D. The reason i never bought a 5 is, the B string never sound like the other one. If i could find a bass with a really good B i would play 5 string exclusively i guess.
  5. Stangg

Stangg Guest

Yeah! I agree with everything Barfly said.
  6. 4's good for me! I've been playing for 15ish years and I guess I'm too set in my ways, I have a hard time adjusting to a 5. I guess I'll have to buy one, one of these days...
  7. love my fours and have never thought about a 5. maybe something like john turner has with the 7, but i have no desire for a 5. the only time i think about 5's is when i go to music store and look at all the 5's and think "doesn't anyone play a 4 anymore"
  8. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I've been playing for about 15 yrs now too and I will probably always stick with a 4. There are times when a low D or C would be nice but not often enough for me to justify buying a 5. I've played a few and have been impressed by some. But,I'm stuck in my ways too. If I had started on a 5 I would probably feel the same way I do toward a 4. I guess I'm old school...
  9. Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    I'm coming up on 19 years playing and never had a desire to go beyond 4 strings. (They are enough trouble as it is !!!)
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Cool. I play 4's, 5's, 6's and now a 7, too and switch frequently between them all (don't have a six right now). Lot's of people play fours. I'll play any bass if it's a player and sounds nice.
  11. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    I personally like 4s better too ^^; i don't think JT will agree with that now :D since one of JT's basses if double string count as ours!! :D
  12. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Playing 22yrs and never had the desire to play a five six or seven I do have hipshot D-tuners on a couple of my basses for the for the drop d stuff. I probably don't know what I'm missing but I'm set in my way's. The closest that I'm going to get to a something other than a four is a RIC 4008 I love that double octave tone.
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Actually, one of his basses has 3 1/2 times as many strings as a 4 string!

14. maestrox

Oct 8, 2000
    I was a confirmed 4-string player until I fell for a sassy Zon Lightwave fretless 5. Since getting that bass, I've since bought a 5-string fretted (finally found *the* one), and sold my 4-strings. The big thing for me is not so much the fact that I have notes below E (although that is cool), but that I can grab more notes in a single position. For instance the classic Am-G-F-G-Am riff/progression is no longer relegated to down near the nut...I can play it higher on the neck and have the same low notes, but with a subtley different tone. And for fretless and sight reading, being able to sit in one position helps quite a bit.
  15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I play in two bands where the music is, melodically, from different solar systems, R&B/dance/rock and trip hop/acid jazz/rave. So, I find a need to have 4's and one 5. The diameter of the B through an 18" soaked with wattage just gets a certain emphasis that goes right through my gut and shoe soles. But, because the tones are so dramatic, I also find I have to be very judicious in using the "extra" string. Plus, not having to jump around the neck so much definitely increases the danger of playing/composing "in the box."
  16. maestrox

Oct 8, 2000
    Agreed, but luckily my 4-string years keep me from sitting too much in one place. I just like the added flexibility. That being said when I'm trying to sight read something (let's say something Giant Steps-ish at about 220 bpm),not having to move around much to grab a note when everything is swirling around me is a good thing...

Of course I could just ignore the music. That would do away with being in the box. "hey dude, I'm just playing *out*...don't blame me if you don't get it..."
  17. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    I am in my 29th year (playing bass). The first 20 I played
    only 4 strings. The last 9 only 5's. I am a 5 stringer forever...except for my upright.
  18. After 45 years of playing four string 10 years of playing 5 and six string and two years of playing the 7 string I still play my double bass it will be 51 years this year. I still play gigs on the four sometimes.
  19. i'm sticking with 4 strings and i'm satisfied. sometimes i think a 5 would be fun, but certainly nothing i need. besides, a good, quality 5 is really expensive. the b string is usually crap on lower-priced 5s, whereas a 4 in the same price range could be a kickass bass. so if i ever win the lottery...
  20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Just as computers and lots of other things are getting cheaper, so are decent fives. For those who haven't checked one out in a while, check out the MTD K5. Let me know what you think of that B.

How you play a B can be critical to whatever sound you get.
    Another thing about B string performance is that the type and size of the string and the set up are crucial to what sound is delivered. Keep that in mind the next time you play a five with the B 1/2" off the neck at the 12th fret:D