1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sticking D string

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Tony F, Apr 29, 2009.

1. When I'm tuning my bass I find the D string seems to "stick" somehow, and not tune smoothly. As I watch the needle on the tuner coming up to tune there'll be an audible click and the string will slip sharp. If I turn the tuner back down slightly the string will click flat... So I have to choose between slightly flat or slightly sharp, a properly tuned D is not an option for me!

This happens with a couple of different string sets (I've used rotosounds and some nasty cheap steel strings), so I don't think it's the string itself. I've put graphite on the bridge slot, and that didn't make any difference.

It feels like the problem is with the tuning peg itself, but is this likely? If so, what's the typical cure?

The weird thing is, I had the exact same problem with my other bass (R.I.P.), same string, same problem. Is it me???

Cheers,

Tony

2. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    It's either stuck in a tight slot on the nut, or at a weird cut on a saddle (barrel/round saddles, or sharp edges?), and possibly a tuner. But I think if it were a tuner, that it would be more noticeable. I've seen some stuff called Nut Sauce, but never tried it. First though, get more opinions and figure it out. Look at the nut first.

3. Sticking in the nut, or maybe the string is falling off the last wind on the barrel. Try getting some graphite in the nut slot as well, and repacking the winds on the barrel so the string comes off on a different angle.

4. uprightben

uprightben

Nov 3, 2006
    Boone, NC
    The D string on most basses is pushed against one or more of the tuning pegs for the other strings. Make sure that the winding on another peg is not pinching or otherwise catching your D, and always keep your nut slick ;)