1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sticking Pickup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by stonkers, Dec 21, 2018.

1. stonkers

stonkers

Jun 9, 2011
    Hi! On my 2013 Gibson Les Paul Standard Bass, when the bridge pickup gets pushed from the neck side (somehow happens all the time just in the hard case), it gets stuck. The pickup will then almost touch the string. The only way I've found to get it back down is to unscrew it's plastic housing from the bass, lift it up and put it back down. Does anyone know, based on my poor description, what is wrong and what I need to do to repair this? Thanks - Eric

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    If the pickup mount has springs, check both of them, something sounds wrong.

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Well, its moving a lot so you need to stop that motion. Adding more (some) foam under it will do the trick in reducing all that movement.

4. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    If the pickups are mounted guitar style (I think that’s the case here), The screws pull the pickup UP, not down like in most basses, and coil springs push them DOWN. Adding foam wouldn’t be the answer here.

Take the screws out that hold the mounting ring to the body, and the pickup and mounting ring will come out in one lump. From there, you should be able to see what’s amiss.

5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Of course it will work. It doesn’t matter if it’s ring mount. Fill the gap between the pup and the bottom of the cavity with foam and the pickup won’t move around. :thumbsup:

I imagine you haven’t had your coffee yet. :D

6. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    If you put foam under thise pickups, and the pickup is now too high, you have nothing to move them to the right height. I’ve had my coffee, you just aren’t visualizing what’s going on in this situation.

Guitar pickup mounts work fine, but there’s something in the way. Once you find that, the solution should be fairly onvious

7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Lol. You are right. Gotta quit putting whiskey in MY coffee.

sissy kathy likes this.
  8. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Springs. I like getting an All-Parts PAF humbucker springs and screws kit then cutting the springs to size with dikes. Did you know that springs around a Strat's pickup screws sounds different than urethane bushings? Weird.

9. stonkers

stonkers

Jun 9, 2011
    Thanks for all the advise! I didn't see the advise (looked but didn't notice the scroll bar) until after I got in there and monkeyed around with it this morning. I'm not positive I have the issue resolved entirely but it doesn't seem to stick anymore. I decided to just check the setup on this guy. I removed the strings and took off this pickup. Springs looked good, nothing seemed to be in the way, so I put it back on. I oiled the fretboard, polished the frets, polished the body, and then restrung it. Then I did something I've never done on this bass and set the height on the pickups. Based on a blog I found, I set the bass side to 3/32" and treble to 1/16" for each pickup. Then I played with that bridge pickup that was sticking a bit and it no longer seems to stick. I didn't force the issue, but so far so good. I'll reply once I have a verdict. Again, thanks!

10. stonkers

stonkers

Jun 9, 2011