Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

STICKS????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ogden, Nov 23, 2000.

1. Ogden

Ogden

Apr 4, 2000
    I really want to try a stick but they are impossible to find in the UK.
    Tried to imitate but i could get the action low enough to tap without a LOT of fret buzz (my bass is a bit cheap).
    Anyone got any thoughts?

2. i don't think they have them in stores in the U.S. either, i belive you have to buy them direct from http://www.stick.com a used conklin groove tools 7 might get you close without all the cash

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    No, stores don't carry the Stick and when they have one, it's usually a used one on consignment. I have tried one out and it is a very interesting instrument. The GT7 might have a lot of strings but won't do much to reproduce the actual feel of the stick, for one, becayse the strings are tuned differently. I have, however, come across stick-style instruments that were german-built. Maybe you could check those out. Good luck.

Will C.:cool:

4. Ogden

Ogden

Apr 4, 2000
  5. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    The Bass Centre are advertising in 'Guitarist' that they have just started to stock a new NS-made stick. Not sure about prices yet, but there will be a review in 'Guitarist' soon. Give the Bass Centre a call if you want to try one out. It's your best bet for the UK.

David

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    List price for the NS Stick is $1600.

Will C.:cool:

7. Another brand, similar to the Chapman Stick, but much better quality, is made by a company called Warr Guitars. I have a friend with fretted and fretless Sticks, and another with a Warr, and the Warr is definitely superior. You can find ads for both in the classifieds at the back of Bass Player magazine.

8. jimstick

jimstick

Dec 8, 2000
    I play an 8 string stick(SB8). It is my main instrument,I use it on everything. The Warr guitar is a stick ripoff. It's the same except it has a body on it. The SB8 has active EMGs also,so it sounds a bit different from the original 10 or 12 string sticks. The stick is extremely expressive and really fun to play. You are guaranteed to get a lot of attention when you play for an audience.

9. what the hell are sticks?

are they those things you put on the end of youre fingers?

10. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Sticks are basically like a bodyless instrument which u hold it upright.. it usually has 8,10 or 12 strings on it.. usually the fat strings in the middle and the thinner strings outside.. its mostly for tapping stuff.. listen to John Myung and stuff he plays a stick :D

DM

11. jimstick

jimstick

Dec 8, 2000
    Check out their website. There are actual stick"masters" .
    They actually play two parts(bass and melody) at the same time like a piano. Get Greg Howard or Bob Culbertson's video. You will be blown away within 5 seconds!!! They can be tuned any way you want. The 8 string works best in straight 4ths (Low B,E,A,D,G,C,F,Bb). The woods are all exotic (Tarara,Purpleheart,Padauk) also (Teak,Oak,Maple,Rosewood,Cherry,and so on). Again,anyone out there who wants to see what a stick's potential is,check out Bob Culbertson,Greg Howard,Larry Tuttle,Stick Night '99 video. I am in no way affiliated with Stick Ent. so I'm not trying to "sell"anything. I was a drummer who got totally obsessed with this instrument. monolyth.tripod.com