Sticky Bass Tips

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maleikbassist, Sep 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Maleikbassist

Maleikbassist

Mar 8, 2013
    Lately I’ve noticed that my forearm will stick to the body of my bass. Really impedes my playing, or rather comfort of playing. Anyone have any tips on how to solve this issues? I only experience this issue on my ‘95 Mexican Fender Jazz.

2. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Is your bass shiny?Glossy?
    This is why many prefer satin or oil finished basses.

3. Maleikbassist

Maleikbassist

Mar 8, 2013
    Standard sort of body finish for a Fender. I’m sure it’s a gloss of some sort. I’ve thought about just sanding the finish off that part of the body. But not sure that I wanna do that. Looking for a better solution than that.

4. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Sweat less.

5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Lift your elbow more. Your arm shouldn't be resting on the bass in the first place.

6. gebass6

wrist.jpg

7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

sleeves?

8. Chop11777

Chop11777 Supporting Member

Jul 22, 2016
    South carolina

9. Chop11777

Chop11777 Supporting Member

Jul 22, 2016
    South carolina
    I would go to the auto parts store and get a bottle of spray detailer or what they call quick wax ...get a name brand one "mothers " or" meguires" ... Mist it down and wipe
    It off

10. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Baby powder.

11. gebass6

A whole lot of Thunderbird players would take issue with you.

12. JW56789

JW56789 Guest

Feb 18, 2017
    I'm with Chop, a wax job would help this. I use Meguiar's Instant Detailer, comes in a tall, Windex-style trigger spray bottle. A caution though: Anything automotive you use along those lines, make sure it's a 'wax only' product and not a 'wax-polish' product. Usually this means it's wax along with exceptionally fine grit to chase down fine scratches on a car finish, which would then be followed by a wax buffer job to eliminate the ultra fine marks the wax-polish would leave while doing its' job, so be sure it's a 'wax-only' product.

13. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    +1 this may seem like an extreme solution, since it means re-training your right arm in a different technique. And lord knows there are many great players who do exactly what you're doing, resting their arm on the bass body. Hell, most basses even have a contour to make the arm resting more comfortable... but... I'm now more than 40 years into playing, and finding that I need to pay really close attention to ergonomics so as to be able to keep playing the bass. Resting the right forearm on my bass was a long-time habit for me as well and aside from sticky arm I would get occasional hand / wrist pain.
    So, I've read lots of info about ergonomics of playing, and the need to keep from bending either wrist at extreme angles. Resting your arm on the bass means the right wrist has to be bent in order to get to the strings. This is partly a function of that arm resting, but moreso has to do with the length of strap, angle of the neck etc.
    Surely it'll be easier to use wax or baby powder to overcome the stickyness, but might be worth checking out some online resources for ergonomics. YMMV!

14. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    30 years into playing I have to do the same thing, remind myself to lift that elbow from time to time.

Funny thing, though, is that I always consider changing technique to be the easiest solution to problems, rather than buying products or adding equipment. All you have to do is move a little differently.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  15. Rib 13

Rib 13 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Home
    if playing with fingers, for sure...... however, probably not great advice to a pick player - OPs avatar suggests he plays with a pick

16. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    His avatar is someone playing an acoustic guitar.

But, regardless, you don't need to touch the bass with your forearm when using a pick. I should know, I used to do that when I was a teenager first learning. Ended up getting a friction burn on the inside of my forearm from playing "where the streets have no name" 3 times back to back. It's sloppy technique.

17. Rib 13

Rib 13 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Home
    I had(have) the opposite happen: The resting arm helps keep the pick wrist focused like a fulcrum to deliver consistently even notes with minimal wrist movement. Small strokes, almost circular (like Ju-Jitsu or Aikido)....I seldom use a pick but mostly in the studio when called for

18. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Sleeves.

19. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    When I got my current Les Paul, it was like that: an uncomfortable amount of stickiness on the inside of my right forearm.

First thing you have to do is clean it all the way down to the finish. You’re locked in a feedback loop of gook. Ivory soap is good, Dawn also. I don’t remember what wax I used. Some carnauba auto wax I had in the garage, probably.

It’s a crazy notion that your arm shouldn’t touch a guitar there.

gebass6 likes this.
  20. gebass6

I know that Gary Willis says that your plucking arm should be sticking out away from the bass body.
    I find that useful.