1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sticky Cables

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CBNJ, Mar 24, 2013.

1. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Feb 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Anyone have this issue? Love using these cables, but they get twisted and tangled WAY too easily. They are the Fender California Cables.

yjurerad.

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Wow that looks like two snakes making love :) I think it's time for new cables my friend.

3. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    What do you love about them? That looks like red #8 THHN. :D

4. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Well, might be just that the quality is cheap; you could buy a better cord.

Before doing that, you might want to try coiling it up differently. Wrapping a cord up around your forearm (between palm and your elbow, like a clothesline) is just about guaranteed to put twists into it.

Stretch it out full length, and get the kinks out first. Then wrap it into a (say) 12" diameter circle held lightly in the palm of your hand. As you coil it into the circle, take care that you let the part you haven't yet coiled untwist itself on the floor.

If you make a habit of that, you may find the problem solved!

5. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Feb 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Two things: the color, and they are cheap. :) the rubbery coating probably doesn't help..

6. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Feb 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    I think the main issue is that it's a cheapie, and pretty sticky feeling to start with.

7. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

I've never seen a cable do that. Throw it out and buy something else, just about anything.

8. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Looks like no shielding and questionable metals.
    Curb it and get a normal instrument cable.

9. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    It has to have shielding. or two conductors, anyway, or it wouldn't work at all. It does look terrible, though.

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    A few years of dive bar bandstand floor dust will make the stickiness go away.

11. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    No offense bro and to each his own but that cable just doesnt look "pro" at all.

If it's working for you then fine but I wouldnt trust anything that flimsy on a gig.

That looks a lot like what the cord on my office phone does and it drives me flippin nuts.

12. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Yeah but the beer makes them sticky again.

13. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    LOL thats what I thought this thread would be about when I first saw the title.