Sticky Fingers!! Help please.

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Bonafide, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Mike, I posted this in the technique board as well, please forgive the double post. Not clear where is the best place for this.

When I first pick up my bass my fingers are dry, the string feel dry and I can play with terrific touch and technique.
    After about an hour my fingertips begin to sweat a little. Sweat? I don't know but they begin to feel a little sticky and it slows me down considerably.
    I occassional use products such as fast fret or string lube to help this, but in all honesty those products make my strings slick. The 'slickness' helps alleviate the friction but only temporarily and it still doesn't feel or perform like a dry string.
    Any tips or tricks for this?
    I have been playing bass for years and really only started having this trouble as of late.

Could it be my String brand?
    I am using DR hi-beams and sometimes fat beams, but all of my basses have DR's on them.

Any help would be massively appreciated.
    Thank you
  2. hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    Did you recently change over to DRs? If so, that sounds like it could be the culprit...Although I am a DR guy and I have never had a problem like what you are describing(lo-riders on my MM and hi-beams on my yamaha).
  3. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It might be that your fingerboard is dirty. My hands do that sometimes. I now wash my hands before I play my bass, and it seems to help.
  4. Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Thanks for the reply, Actually I should have clarified that as well. My basses are 'spanky' clean, my hands are washed prior to playing and my strings are wiped down during and after each session.
    I got into that habit to help preserve my bass strings. (Those babies ain't cheap when you have more than one bass to feed).
    Maybe my boards are dirty enough to cause friction, but I am doubting it. I won't rule it out though.
  5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Some people sweat more than others. Also some people's sweat is more acidic than others (ever see a bass where the tuners are all rusted and pitted). I keep a really absorbant rag with me (actually one of my son's old cloth diapers - well cleaned). Iwipe the neck and my hands as needed I wash my hands between sets. Personally, I don't think you want to make the strings slick, but rather work to keep everything DRY.

I have only tried the DR's once and found them to have a very uneven outerwrap which helped create more friction. My string of choice is the TI JazzRounds. They have a very tight outer wrap that almost feels like a flat wound. If you can put aside any prejudice against weird guages, they're worth giving a try

6. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I have the same problem...(I wonder if it is my DR strings?) Once my fingers get sticky (about a half hour into practice) my technique really suffers. With dry fingers I can play real even, but when they stick it is like the tips of my fingers get "stuck" a little under the string and I play uneven notes.

Hmm...Thought it was just me. :confused: