1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sticky Fingers

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by h4ppyk, Jul 31, 2012.

1. h4ppyk

h4ppyk

Mar 11, 2011
    Hi

I played my first rockabilly job on my upright, i have gutstrings and at the rehersals i have had no problem slapping. Now at this gig it was quite hot and moist and my fingers kept sticking to the strings just enough that changing the strings fast became a problem so i had to pizz instead.

do any of you guyes have a trick fo avoiding this?

ps: my wife suggested to use baby powder ? not sure that wont hurt my masculinity :bassist:

br
    h4ppy

2. ricobasso

ricobasso

Jan 18, 2007
    UK, South East
    My fingers don't sweat much so I can't say this is a problem for me, however, I do oil my gut strings every month or so. Maybe this helps to prevent sticking too?

3. h4ppyk

h4ppyk

Mar 11, 2011
    That sounds like an idea, do you use the string speed stuff or kitchen oil?

Br
    H4ppy

4. ricobasso

ricobasso

Jan 18, 2007
    UK, South East
  5. johnz

johnz

Apr 26, 2008
    Ashland, OR
    Plain old mineral oil works fine to keep the guts limbered up. A modest wipe will take the strings from feeling like flypaper to down-right slippery. For what it's worth, baby power works fine as wall. Maybe it would help if you called talcum power ;-)

6. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    never fails....rub your nose or forehead....will lube those fingers right up. works in a pinch.

7. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Lemon oil or almond oil works very well too :)

8. h4ppyk

h4ppyk

Mar 11, 2011
    Sounds like im on the path to some slippery-slappin, thanks a lot for your replys! ill try it out right away

br
    lasse