"Sticky" flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Thumper, May 15, 2002.

1. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I alluded to this in another thread, but thought it might be worth it's own. I have a bass with (reputed) Ernie Ball flats, and one with tapewounds, and both sets of strings feel sticky and I don't enjoy playing them. I have D'addario Chromes on another bass but haven't put in the hours to see if I experience the same feel. Has anybody experienced this on TI flats? If so, would stainless flats prevent the sticky feel? I'm looking to order very soon, so feedback is appreciated.
    BTW, I wipe down my strings after each session, so I don't think it's dirt related.
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I've seen a lot of posts about the stickiness of TI's. I tried the Ernies and had the same thing. The TI's get pretty slick after a few weeks of playing, I think the Ernies should, too. Fender 9050 (stainless) flats are probably the smoothest right out of the package. They have a great feel and sound, IMO. LaBellas are also pretty smooth, and so are the GHS Precision Flats, but of those three, I like the Fenders best.
  3. My first experience with Fender 9050M was at last nights' gig with my newly acquired MIM J fretless. I noticed the stickiness came and went. I attribute this to finger wetness.

The neat thing about fretless is you can play the strings through the cleaning cloth and it doesn't sound half bad..

I really enjoyed playing the 9050 strings cuz I was kinda primed they were going to suck, but they didn't.
  4. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I like Lakland Joe Osborn stainless flats just for that reason, not to mention their tone. Have never had a problem with stickiness. I buy them direct from www.lakland.com
  5. Doc,

What kind of life, brightness, and tension do you get from the JO flats?
  6. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I would call them a medium-high tension string. I use 4 string and 5 string and and have had them on a few basses for well over a year, with daily playing. I consider them to be bright, and have never had a problem with them. I once had 2 Ernie Ball flatwound B strings go dead within a month.
  7. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    For me, the TI Flats are as smooth as silk.
    Maybe the stickynees has something to do with the humidity, or the sweatyness of your fingers (not all folks are the same), or how clean your hands are, etc.
  8. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Me, too -- I've heard others mention TI stickiness, and I've never experienced it with any of the many sets I've had on various basses. I don't sweat all over them, tho.
  9. I've had two sets of TI flats, and never had any stickiness.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmm ... my TI's (on my Pedulla TBolt 5 fretless) feel a little "sticky," but not like somebody put honey on them. It's more from the slight roughness of the string, kind of like there are minute sharp edges on the windings. On the other hand, my Lakland Joe Osborn flats feel nice and smooth.
  11. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I got the TI Jazz flats and strung them on the Sukop fretless 5. Great strings, not sticky at all, and if they do sound better at 6 months, all the hype is legit, cuz these things sound great right out of the box. A great plus was the intonation was smack on. The B string is pretty good, about 85% of volume and punch of the E, not bad for a 34 inch scale neck thru bass I'm thinking. Sure am glad I took those sticky, dead B Ernie Ball flats off.