1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sticky hair

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Michael Case, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Hello all,
    I have been studying arco for a few months now and have a question I figured I would post here. I have a pretty good brazilwood student bow, and use Nymans rosin. Sometimes it goes nice and smooth, others it gets a little stuck on a spot and will rip a couple of hairs out. I apply from frog to tip and don't use much pressure when I put it on. So my question is this, what's happening, is this normal, how do I make it stop?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Poor-quality hair tends to break often. Nyman's isn't particularly sticky; if the hairs are breaking when you're rosining up, you may just want to rehair the bow.

Also, temperature and humidity affect the texture of rosin noticeably; try to store it in a cool, dry place if you can.

3. That was what I was thinking. I am considering a rehair. Any suggestions?

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Kolstein, Gage, Merchant...the usual suspects. I don't think it should cost more than $50.

5. I guess what I am asking is, should I ask for anything special? How do assure I get good quality hair?

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I hear Russian hair is good. But these guys won't be ones to stiff you, as their reputation is what they sell in addition to the hair.