Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sticky hair

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Michael Case, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Hello all,
    I have been studying arco for a few months now and have a question I figured I would post here. I have a pretty good brazilwood student bow, and use Nymans rosin. Sometimes it goes nice and smooth, others it gets a little stuck on a spot and will rip a couple of hairs out. I apply from frog to tip and don't use much pressure when I put it on. So my question is this, what's happening, is this normal, how do I make it stop?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Poor-quality hair tends to break often. Nyman's isn't particularly sticky; if the hairs are breaking when you're rosining up, you may just want to rehair the bow.

Also, temperature and humidity affect the texture of rosin noticeably; try to store it in a cool, dry place if you can.

3. That was what I was thinking. I am considering a rehair. Any suggestions?

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Kolstein, Gage, Merchant...the usual suspects. I don't think it should cost more than $50.

5. I guess what I am asking is, should I ask for anything special? How do assure I get good quality hair?

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I hear Russian hair is good. But these guys won't be ones to stiff you, as their reputation is what they sell in addition to the hair.