Sticky hands

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by docmobley, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Every year, we say that we won't play outside gigs during the summer. It's hot and humid enough here now that the air conditioning cannot keep up for some inside gigs. Result, sweaty palms sticking to the neck, fingers stuck to strings(though not as bad as the palms). Frequent washing and drying of hands is impractical. Has anyone ever tried spraying anti-perspirants on their hands for a hot, humid gig?

Doc Mobley
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I've found that taking a towel to gigs and wiping down the neck and strings frequently helps a great deal. Talcum powder can also be useful, but you have to do a lot of wiping down of both hands and strings if you use it.
  3. I read somewhere of a Guitar Player.."dont remember who" that washed his hands with regular Rubbing Alcohol and allowed them to dry on there own. This is said to dry out the sweat glands of the skin and thus resulting in less sweat. I do not know if this works but thought it was interesting...

If the world didn`t suck we would all fall off........
  4. The great bassist and luthier Thomas Martin has recomended using something called 'Lectric Shave.
    I haven't actually tried it. I usually just wash my hands between sets.
  5. I remember using a spray anti-perspirant on my feet to keep them from sweating so much when I wore ski boots. If I remember right you were supposed to start using it a month or so ahead of time for it to work properly.
  6. Andrew_S.

Jul 24, 2001
    Flagstaff, AZ

Ewww, that sounds really disgusting to me. I'd go with sweaty hands over that any day of the week. I keep a bandana that I use to wipe down the neck every so often...
  7. Thanks for the input folks. I think I'll try using those "wet ones" wipes, followed with a pretty good towel. Fortunately for me, the weather here has moderated somewhat, so maybe these next two gigs won't be quite so sauna-like.

8. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    A little trombone slide cream on the fingertips will keep you slippin' and slidin' no matter how hot or humid the climate...I think I picked up this tip from Mike Richmond about a hundred years ago. Sorry, Mike...

9. I think I read somewhere that Jaco would eat fried chicken before a performance and then go on stage without washing his hands. I've also heard that nose oil works in a pinch.:)