Sticky mixture

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Pmutch, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Pmutch

Jan 16, 2003
    I'm buying this 4 string off of a friend and he put sticker on it. I don't like the stickers. So I tried peeling them off and it left that sticky crap on there. So does anyone have a mixture to get this sticky stuff off without harming my bass?
  2. i think there's a product called "goo gone" or something; or maybe i'm imagining things.
    it helps to use a blow-dryer to heat it up before you take it off, w/ some.
  3. Alcohol mixed with water can do the trick, but don't mix it too strong.
  4. nail polish remover also works. however, on something like that, i would be very afraid to use it. i would look for a safe product first to get it off. ;)
  5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

A lightly applied soap, or even guitar polish may remove it. Whatever you apply, wipe it clean before you put the instrument away.

I would suggest paint thinner. NOT TURPENTINE! But only after you remove the paper part of the sticker. And even then, try it in a small area (a Q-Tip sized area), do not scrub. Then wipe clean!
  6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I bought a bass that someone had covered the entire back with duct tape. I got the residue off with a product that I believe was called Goo-off (it was a long time ago). It worked great, didn't harm the painted finish a bit.
  7. Another vote for goo gone. it is safe on a polyurethane finsh to boot.
  8. Pmutch

Jan 16, 2003
    i'll try the alcohol and if it don't work I'll go get some goo gone
  9. A chisel and/or sandpaper work.

Seriously, get the Goo Gone stuff. It works great.