1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sticky mixture

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Pmutch, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Pmutch

Pmutch

Jan 16, 2003
    I'm buying this 4 string off of a friend and he put sticker on it. I don't like the stickers. So I tried peeling them off and it left that sticky crap on there. So does anyone have a mixture to get this sticky stuff off without harming my bass?

2. i think there's a product called "goo gone" or something; or maybe i'm imagining things.
    it helps to use a blow-dryer to heat it up before you take it off, w/ some.

3. Alcohol mixed with water can do the trick, but don't mix it too strong.

4. nail polish remover also works. however, on something like that, i would be very afraid to use it. i would look for a safe product first to get it off. ;)

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

DON'T SCRUB! YOU'LL SCRATCH THE FINISH!

A lightly applied soap, or even guitar polish may remove it. Whatever you apply, wipe it clean before you put the instrument away.

I would suggest paint thinner. NOT TURPENTINE! But only after you remove the paper part of the sticker. And even then, try it in a small area (a Q-Tip sized area), do not scrub. Then wipe clean!

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I bought a bass that someone had covered the entire back with duct tape. I got the residue off with a product that I believe was called Goo-off (it was a long time ago). It worked great, didn't harm the painted finish a bit.

7. Another vote for goo gone. it is safe on a polyurethane finsh to boot.

8. Pmutch

Pmutch

Jan 16, 2003
    i'll try the alcohol and if it don't work I'll go get some goo gone

9. A chisel and/or sandpaper work.

Seriously, get the Goo Gone stuff. It works great.