1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sticky Neck.... Help!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BAG, Dec 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hi folks....I've got a Godin Shifter Classic 4 which started out with a really nice satin finished neck that I really liked. After 6 months or so of use my sweaty hands had turned it to a gloss between around the 3rd and 12th frets. I've tried sanding it back a little with 1200 grit paper and while it feels nicer it still gets quite sticky when my hands sweat.....which is nearly every time I play unless the temps below 15C. If I rub the neck I get some tiny, tiny balls of dirt and muck. What's the best way to clean it and is it worth trying some oil on the remaining finish. If so, what type of oil.

Thanks.

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Try some fine steel wool on the back of the neck. Wipe it down after each use to avoid the dead skin buildup. A satin finish feels good, but be careful not to sand too much, as bare wood collects dirt and grime quickly. If the satin finish is sanded off, you may need to re-apply a couple coats. I've used rattle can spray satin on backs of necks with good results.
    Wash your hands before playing.
    Perhaps going Jeff Beck and using a bit of talcum powder on your hands will help with the sweat situation. Some players just sweat more than others.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Please don't use steel wool on your neck. Remember, you have at least one magnetic pickup on your base that finds fine metal filings that can short things out attractive. Use a nylon scrubby to knock the finish down. Use naphtha sparingly to clean the neck.

To minimize the problem in the future, wipe the bass down after each use.

4. I do wipe the neck down regularly. At warm gigs I'll be wiping between every second song. But i am a bit slack when i finish and usually pack it away without a final wipe so it may be build up of gunk.
    I tried cleaning it with some lemon oil fingerboard oil and it seems to have gotten the worst of the build up off. We'll see how it goes this weekend.

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Try knocking it down with a worn ScotchBrite pad. They're less aggressive and conform to the contours of the neck.

Riis

6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i think wiping it down after the gig, or between gigs, is a good idea, but: why worry about it? your playing can only give your instrument the 'character' it may be craving, right?

7. B
    :laugh:

I wish it were so and id never clean it again. Unfortunately it makes a very fast neck into a very slow sticky one.

8. Looks like cleaning it with the fretboard lemon oil has helped quite a bit. Did a three hour outdoor gig in a hot courtyard with stupidly high humidity and didn't have to wipe down once between songs.

9. Looks like cleaning it with the fretboard lemon oil has helped quite a bit. Did a three hour outdoor gig in a hot courtyard with stupidly high humidity and didn't have to wipe down once between songs.

10. For years , my solution to a sticky neck has been corn starch baby powder. Can look a bit messy at times but it wipes off easily after a show.
    For initial clean up of a new neck , I have used both 1000 grit paper or a Scotchbrite pad. I've had good results with both. As stated above by sissy kathy , I would avoid steel wool due to the possibility of some fibers getting stuck in the magnets on the pick ups. Once those fibers get on the magnets , they are impossible to get out.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  11. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Tru-oil. I refinished the back of the neck on my 20 year old bass.Finish had worn from 3-12 fret.
    It is a kit. I found a video on Youtube on how to refinish a neck.
    Came out really good and finished it with some Tru-Oil wax.
    It has held up to 2 years of gigging.