Sticky new strings on a new bass.. weird

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Magneto, May 30, 2004.

1. I wonder if anyone has ever noticed any sort of protectant on strings on a new bass.

Before I ordered my ESP F-204, I played on a new one at a local music shop. Loved the bass, but noticed a sticky feel on the strings, almost as if some sort of corrosion protectant had been used on them. Shop guy couldn't comment on this, but I had not ever noticed this before on any string on any bass.

Got my F-204 in, and the first thing I noticed was the same sticky feel. I could even feel something on my fingers, but I couldn't figure it out.
    I cleaned the strings with denatured alcohol, and this helped, but recently I boiled these strings and afterwards, noticed some sort of yellowish sticky stuff on them.. I've seen all sorts of gunk come out of used strings, but never anything like this. I wiped down the still- hot strings, but that crap didn't come completely off.
    I'm wondering just what kind of stuff wouldn't come off during a boiling?
    I've been doing this for alot of years, and have never noticed anything like this, even on strings that had finger lube on them...

2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    About a third of the basses at the shop by me are like that. Sticky strings, dont know if they are really dirty or if they spray some kind of thing on them?
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Maybe something they put on so the strings don't sound like crap after spending six months in Bob's Muzick Xchange.
  4. That could even be some kind of machine oil that was on the raw wire stock used to make the outer wrap of the strings or oil from the machine that does the winding. Either way I don't think that it is something that should be there. Maybe some methyl hydrate (gas line antifreeze) or brake cleaner may get rid of it.
  5. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Or so the stickyness could collect the DNA from your fingers and send it back to the ESP lab to find out what type of people buy their profucts.

It could happen...
  6. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    And clone people using the DNA so they'll have more customers.
  7. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    wow those ESP R&D guys are mad.