1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

sticky situation..is my speaker blown?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by a e i o u, Mar 28, 2006.

1. for a long time i have been playing through my b2r into a 4ohm avatar cab without any problems. Recently I let my friend borrow my set up for a few shows. He doesn't know much about amps. At one of these shows where he was using my amp, I went to watch them play. He had my amp hooked up to another 1x15 cab. I was surprised that my amp didnt blow up. It was working good for a solid half of an hour except that that pretty much anything on the low E would sound like the speaker blew out because it made an ugly farting noise. I looked at the cab when i took it home and from the front it looked like everything was fine, there were no holes in the speakers. I dont know how to access the back of the cab to look at the magnets though. I haven't had the chance to try the amp out with the cab yet. Do you think that I will need a new head because it was running at too low of an ohmage than it requires, or do you think I will need a new cab, or would I need both? The amp turns on fine and everything above the E string sounds normal so I don't know what to expect..........???????

2. ollybarclay

ollybarclay

Dec 14, 2005
    perils of lending things to friends...

3. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX

It is quite possible that everything is fine. If the speaker was rated to take the power, then the "farting" could have just been the amp being badly overdriven, and if it was too low a load, that's what happens audibly. Since the amp still works, it is unlikely damaged. Typically, with too low a load, and amp will either go into thermal shutdown, or fail totally. Since neither of these things happened to you, all is probably well. Oh, and "looking at the magnets" will show you nothing at all. A big hunk of metal is all you will see, whether the speaker is good or not. Typically, failures from this type of scenario happen to the voice coil, which you can't see. The best test is to get to a point where you can touch the cone, and gently push it in very evenly (hand on each side) and see if you feel rubbing or scratching. If so, the voice coil is cooked, and it's time for a new driver or a recone. Once again, though, since you say it sounds fine, it's probably OK. Failures like this sound really ratty, especially at low volumes.

- Tim

4. It's things like this that cause me to be obsessive about no one using my gear, ever. I don't care that you forgot even so much as a cable at home. Tough cookies. You ain't using any of my stuff!

Jeff