Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sticky Stainless Steel String Cure!!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by camerondye, Apr 3, 2001.

1. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    I contacted DR Strings today with a problem. I like the sound of Steels but hate the feel. He emailed me back that Will Lee puts a little bit of Baby Powder on his fingers to cure this. I went home and tried it and it works perfectly, I still am checking it out because I can't imagine it is good on String Life (Will Lee probably gets free strings so he doesn't have to worry about this). But for those of you out there struggling with Steels, this really works.
    cam

2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    also try ghs Fast Fret, that works really well.

3. Taurus

Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    The baby powder,by itself,will not attack or damage the strings.The only thing it will do is to eventually deaden the string somewhat because the powder has become encrusted in the gaps between the windings.I'm not too nuts on boiling strings but that would work like a charm to get rid of the buildup.You could probably get away with just a long soak in warm water to get the crud out.I also suggest you go easy with the baby powder[cornstarch is cheaper]...a little goes a long way.

4. I felt the same way about stainless steel as you. I put on some Warwick Stainless steel strings and I realy like the sound but they feel all...bleh. I think I just might try this baby powder theory.

5. I had the same problem with a set of RotoSound Flats. Man those were the stickiest strings I have ever seen. I rubbed them down with alcohol, fast frest, you name it. Never did get rid of the sticky problem. I finally took them off and tossed 'em. That was my first, and last set of RotoSounds. Didn't try the powder of corn starch route though.

Keep Thumpin'! Sammy!