1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sticky strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by magic8161, Jul 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. magic8161

magic8161 Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    I bought a used G&L bass and it has flats on them. I looked at the certificate that came with it and from the factory it says D'Addario EXL170. I couldnt find them in flats so iam to believe they have been changed to theses sticky things. they were ok in the first part of the night but after a while they drove me crazy. any idea if someone makes a non sticky flat in a light gauge? this is the first time i ever in 30 years playing used light strings and i love them.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yes EXL170's are rounds, not flats.

Yes flats are sticky!

And I'm confused...one sentence says these strings drive you crazy, and the next sentence says you love them.

Gorn likes this.
  3. magic8161

magic8161 Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    I love the fact that there light gauge and flat.(I have never used lights before) I hate the fact that they are sticky. I want to know of a non sticky flat wound.

4. All flats can get sticky under certain conditions, such as high humidity and sweaty hands. The stickiness will wear off with use; it's just a matter of keeping them clean and dry at all times.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Why not a light gauge round wound? Not sticky, and light gauge.

6. Or, maybe Pressurewounds? A lot smoother than any rounds and they never get sticky like flats.

magic8161 likes this.
  7. gsgbass

gsgbass Guest

Mar 14, 2014
    A good way to get around sticky flats on your G&L, D'Addario ETB92 Nylon Tapewounds. They don't get sticky, and have a great Flats sound, deep, and mellow.

TbDNuyO.

magic8161 likes this.