Sticky Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by magic8161, Jul 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. magic8161

magic8161 Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    Did a gig tonight and my hands started to sweat and the strings got sticky. I use GHS Brite Flats Med Light. I had this problem before but just blew it off since I dont play outside much. is it the strings? or will this happen no matter what strings I use?

2. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Yes, it's caused by the Brite Flats you are using. Those are ground wound strings or some refer them as half rounds. Sticky is a kind of given on ground wound strings. Some say the sticky will go away with usage, but IME of using D'Addario Half Rounds, it didn't ever go away even after months of using them. Maybe I wasn't using them often/long enough. Some would suggest to rub them with butter, fine sand paper, etc to make the sticky go away faster.

BrentSimons and magic8161 like this.
  3. Flats and semi-flats (ie groundwound/half-round) do have more tendency to get sticky when combined with sweaty fingers than rounds or semi-rounds.

You might want to try the GHS Pressurewound (ie "rollerwound") as a non-sticky alternative.

Yahboy and magic8161 like this.
  4. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    BrentSimons and magic8161 like this.
  5. I have had sticky finger issues with all half-rounds and most flats.

magic8161 likes this.
  6. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Fingerease. I had the same problem. Fingerease works great

BrentSimons likes this.
  7. I think Jaco or maybe it was Rocco that suggested eating a slice of pizza? :)
    Brent

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Nasal sebum. Free, plentiful, and effective.

garrett77 likes this.
  9. GK Growl

GK Growl Inactive

Dec 31, 2011
    Not sure how flats respond but every nickel round or stainless steel round I've played get sticky when sweaty, humid, or outdoors. I just figure it's part of the circumstances and play through it.