1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sticky strings

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by danders, Jun 11, 2007.

1. danders

danders

Mar 19, 2007
    Forest Grove, OR
    I tried searching previous posts but only managed to find every reference to a sticky post. I'm new to bass, just started playing about three months ago, and I find the strings feel almost sticky to my plucking hand after only a few hours of use. I try to keep the strings clean - I wash my hands before playing and wipe down the strings with a cotton cloth after playing.

The problem is I have a hard time controlling my playing volume, or at least producing a consistent volume. If I'm too easy on the string it feels like it's too quiet but every now and then my finger sort of sticks on a string and I let loose a noticeably loud note. Like I said, I'm a noob and it may be that my plucking hand just needs to get a better feel for the friction involved. Is this common, and if so is there anything I can do or work on to prevent it? I'm using DR Lowriders right now on a Fender P.

2. The strings you are using are stainless steel. Steel strings generally have a rough feel to them compared to nickel stings. Try Ernie Ball strings or Daddario nickels... IMO steel strings sound better tho.

3. danders

danders

Mar 19, 2007
    Forest Grove, OR
    Thanks. I've been trying different strings to get an idea of how they sound but I've had trouble with the strings feeling sticky with others I've tried as well. I'll try a set of nickel strings next and see how that goes.

4. Foxworthy925

Foxworthy925 Guest

Feb 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    yeah, sometimes I notice that if I'm not warmed up or my callouses haven't gotten used to the string texture in the first maybe 10 min or so of playing, I'll lick my fingers. saliva seems to be very slippery when it comes to right handed finger playing... works well for me.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021