1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sticky strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Wayne8, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Is it just me or do some strings feel sticky, like they've got adhesive on them? Brand new. Wipe them down but they still feel sticky. Last set I had on my last bass was that way (don't remember what kind they were). The strings that came on my Squire VM Jazz are the same way.

2. Tenma4

Tenma4

Jan 26, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    I generally think stainless steel strings feel that way. That's why I'm lovin' some nickelwounds. Of course everyone has their preferences. I prefer nickel's feel and tone.

3. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    turn the pron off.

4. Tenma4

Tenma4

Jan 26, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Ha! Left myself wide open for that one. Darn.

:p

5. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Rotosounds are very abrasive, but I wouldn't call them sticky. Try a set of DRs. Lo-Riders, Hi-Beams, take your pick. Stainless steel strings that feel like nickel. Great stuff.

6. So a friend tells me today that he read somewhere that round core strings often use an adhesive to hold the wraps in place and that that's most likely where the stickiness is coming from. And that hex core doesn't need it so they aren't sticky. Anyone ever hear of anything like that?

7. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Pure and utter nonsense.

8. I figured!

9. LCMBassist

LCMBassist

Sep 27, 2008
    England
    Warwick strings always felt like this to me. Never understood it.

10. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    Really? They seemed almost roto-rough to me but not sticky (the yellow label nickels, that is).

11. Yes, generally I feel SS strings have that sticky uncomfortable feel to them although I love the tone of Hi Beams.

12. (b)Assman

(b)Assman

Jun 22, 2008
    Champaign, IL
    I had that feel with my elixirs and it was throwing my timing off. But ya stainless steel feels like that too. I use nickle wounds and don't have that problem really. I guess it depends on whats on your fingers too but hey you can always pick up a can of fingerease.

13. Tenma4

Tenma4

Jan 26, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Hm. I've used the Elixir nanowebs in the past to avoid the sticky feeling... It's been a while, but they still felt much better than SS to me.