Sticky tuner

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by emblymouse, Jun 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Hey I'm wondering if a tuner can just go bad. I've done the ol' 3 in 1 oil on these and 3 of the 4 are much improved but the E is still sticky and hard to turn. Everything looks OK but I have not disassembled it yet. This is on a 35 yr old well played bass with a lot of hours on it. Thoughts? Thanks!

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Yes, it's theoretically possible to wear out a tuner, but it probably just needs to be disassembled and cleaned. When the plating gets worn off from the pieces rubbing together that often increases the friction and makes them harder to turn. Oiling them, I don't think, is a good idea either, that will just make any dust that gathers on them adhere. Oil is, as you know, a lubricant, but tuners normally turn so little and seldom that a lubricant just isn't necessary.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    lz4005 likes this.
  3. ak56

ak56

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    Hopefully, disassembly and cleaning will fix your problem.

I had a similar problem, on a 37 year old bass, and unfortunately disassembly and cleaning didn't work for me.

Replacing the tuners ended up being very expensive, but that was my fault.

Replaced the tuners with Hipshots, with the Hipshot D-tuner on the E string.

As long as I was working on the bass, I might as well upgrade the pickup...
    and as a preventive maintenance thing, might as well replace the pots, cap, and jack...
    and my black bass would look great with a black pearl pickguard...
    and a chrome pickup cover...
    and a chrome thumbrest...
    and chrome knobs...
    and a HipShot bridge.

With all that black and chrome, I needed a new strap to do it justice, and a new cord to match.

I don't have any problems with the tuners sticking any more.:D

emblymouse likes this.
  4. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    I hear that!
    No, this one I just want to play the best it can. It's got mojo out the wing wang and a crappy refin but it's weirdly beautiful as is. It would be difficult to find an age appropriate replacement, one shiny new one would be like a big silver tooth down there. So maybe a full set of ultralites........o_O

I will of course take them all apart and clean them. But this sucker actually squeeks! I will post about this when done.