stiff hand playing live... help!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by panazza, Jan 25, 2005.

1. panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    I noticed I have a strange problem... when playing live, my right hand gets stiff, and I find myself in great troubles playing fast parts...

when I play with fingers, the result is I hit the strings very hard, using a pick, I give a death grip to the pick and it tends to slip... and my hand gets fatigued very fast...

I also noticed the problem is related to volume... the higher the volume we're playing at, the more my hand gets stiff....

this happens also when I am nervous, for example when I know that I am playing something really difficult and something could get wrong...

and the situation gets worse when it's cold and I have less control on my hands...

have you ever encountered this kind of problem?

how could I fix it? just relaxing??
  2. slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    How high do you hang your bass? If you keep the strap high, the right wrist gets stuck at a sharp angle... it is really really bad for you.

Other than that... yeah, just learn to relax. Death grip doesn't help you play.
  3. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    I had this problem for a little while, and i think what is happening is in the heat of the moment, you are attacking harder than you usually do, putting fatigue on your hand that it is not used to. Sure, it feels "cool" to get down and really dig in and jump around and feel all "rock and roll" when you are in front of a lot of people, but thats all secondary to the playing, and you should never let it get in the way of the way you play. Play just as if you would during a practice. If it means rocking out a little less, so be it. Your tone and your hands will thank you. Besides, you CAN move around and really get into it without attacking really hard. It feels funny at first, to be jumping around and playing lightly at the same time, but it can be done.

I mean, if this problem happens when you are practicing as well, then all of what i just said is worthless, and its a technique issue; but still, give it a shot. play with the same touch live as you do in practice.

Also, do you hang your bass differently for shows? I've met a few kids who keep their bass around their stomach during practice for ease of play, and then the night of the show comes, and the bass is suddenly down by their knees. I guess they think it looks cooler. But its really a lot cooler to play your music right, and if you cant do it with the bass all the way down there, then bring it back.

Basically, you need to play out there like you practice. You cant go changing things at the last minute, for your sake, and your band's.