Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stiff neck wood

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nunk6, Oct 29, 2001.

1. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    how stiff will a neck made of goncalo alves be in comparison to maple?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Well, it is very hard, very heavy, and very dense - more so than rock maple and way more than mahogany, (which is used for necks). If you can believe this - it is used in construction in Latin and Central America :eek: It's too beautiful for that!

I was considering it for a fretboard. The main snag that kept me from asking for one is that it is oily and has a rep for being difficult to glue.

But, that is a generalization. Wood can vary as much as the growing conditions. Cocobolo is supposed to be oily and difficult to glue, but half of my bass's body is being made with it.

I think it would be a great choice once you knew you had a board that wasn't too oily.

3. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    "Turn on Beavis & Butthead voices"

Dude you said Stiff and Wood. Cool heh hehheh!

"Turn Off Beavis & Butthead voices"

Sorry I couldn't help myself:D

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am sorry to admit that I was thinking the same thing.:D

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Stiff enough, but too heavy.
    The axe will have serious neck dive, and I wouldn't be surpriced if there were some dead spots.
    A neck shall be very stiff and very light, with a very hard fingerboard. As a rule of thumb...