1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stiff nickel rounds with solid upper mids?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sikamikanico, Apr 15, 2015.

1. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    I have a P bass (Lakland Glaub with Fralin pickups) that I'm really enjoying. I will eventually put flats on it, but as it's my only bass right now, I want to find the perfect roundwounds for it.

Currently, I have a set of DR Lo-riders (hex core, nickel), which I find still a bit floppy even with the hex core. Also, I find them (as with many rounds) to lack a bit in the upper mid-range - especially noticeable on the D and G string. I'm EQ-ing a bit of 800 Hz in to get closer to what I want. I think part of the issue is the P design and the relative newness of the strings, but I keep thinking there may strings that will fit better.

Any thoughts on what roundwound string will get me both more stiffness and more rounded upper mids?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    D'addario XL's are pretty good for that IMHO.

Jamie_Funk likes this.
  3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I don't play stiff strings anymore, but when I did I really like Dunlop heavy core. I played the 45-105 set tuned to EADG and they sounded great. They're apparently meant to be downtuned, but I really liked them tuned to standard, at the time. Nowadays I'm playing ADGC hibeams tuned EADG.

4. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    +1. I like Dr sunbeams for low mid stuff but I love d'addario for upper mid stuff. They loose their brightness within a couple days but retain very clear upper mida which I like.

JimmyM likes this.
  5. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Hmm, I had D'Addario XLs before Lo riders, and wasn't impressed by them. While decent, they left me wanting for more. I just browsed their website again, maybe I'll give half-rounds a try...

Looking at Dunlop now, maybe that's next...

6. strictlybass_ic

strictlybass_ic Mediocrity is a journey

Jan 9, 2014
    Northern Indiana
    Sadowsky Black Label nickels. Not my cup of tea, but they might fit into what you're after pretty well.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The regular nickels are fairly stiff IMHO, but the Super Bright nickels are pretty loose. Me, I'm a Super Brights guy. They remind me of a cross between Roto steels and XL's, but they are rather low tension so they'd probably be out for you. Too bad...I like to use 800 when I can't hear myself too, and the Super Brights seem pretty responsive in that area to me.

8. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    I will suggest GHS progressives. GHS uses a larger than average core wire and the progressives I believe have a somewhat unique core material. In total, they feel about half a guage stiffer than their actual listed guage (example: the .102 E feels like a typical .105). They have an Alloy 52 wrap, which tends to have a bit more output and in my experience, has a pretty dynamic tone. Although, they aren't particularly warm. they feel real nice on the fingers.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  9. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    thank you all for the suggestions!